Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my local sportsmans warehouse looking for some 450 ammo and he said there were 4 boxes of 325's in Ankeny La. 515-963-3500

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Nope, but my 35 is a Ballard barreled "A" with the 24" barrel, and my 444 has a 24" barrel as well, I never really looked at the rifling to see just how "Micro Grove" it really is??, it shoots 240grn Remington REALLY! good, so I really don't care. :shot:

·
Registered
568 Posts
The "Leverevolution" isn't hard to find, it's the "Custom" 350grn Interlock that's obsolete.
I couldn't even find the 325gr LE loads anymore when I still had my .450.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some local searching and found 8 boxes of the 350's at a small little hole in the wall gun shop!:marchmellow:

·
Registered
436 Posts
The only place I have found .450 marlin ammo (325gr LE ) was at Gander mountain and boy were they high! I contacted Hornady a while back and they said the LE ammo was all they were going to make in .450 marlin. They discontinued the rest. Have to roll them yourself or buy buffalo bore ammo.

Reactions: toad67

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think the discontinuation of the 350FP is the writing on the wall for this cartridge. Marlin/Hornaday made a mistake by making it a completely proprietary case. Now us fans are doomed to obsolescence.

Edit: The local Sportsman's had few boxes of LE the last time through. If anybody is looking let me know, I'll give it a look for more info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Someone will get the right to make the brass or Hornady will see the demand. There's a lot more brass out there than most think and the LE brass is just as reloadable as standard brass. I just got into the 450 world and have found a lot of ammo and brass some at a very good price and some at a higher price but none of it was as high as .375 Winchester prices on GB. So as long as there is lead out there and my shoulder holds out I'm good to go!

Reactions: Lil Bear

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The Hornady 350 JFP factory ammo is a great round so far as velocity and accuracy but the bullet did not seem to open up much on whitetail last year. Never the less, I have some stashed away but also started reloading the 300 jacketed bullet. I would be happy to see the production of 400 grain JFP bullets resume as I would like to try that one in the 450 Marlin as well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Bill2311 nice info, but can I get a little more regarding the FP's and expansion? What kind of ranges where you hitting those deer at? In your opinion, would it be a better double shoulder breaker than double lung type bullet? Now that I've got the XLR I might be using it as a stand rifle in central VA, where most of the shots would be in the 100 yards or less range.

Thanks! I probably should have just PM'd you.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Reicher,
PM on the way...

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I, too, miss the 350 FPs - if for no other reason, they're just intimidating and fun to look at. I still have a couple boxes I'm saving for a "rainy day" (I'll probably be a goner by then). I'll tell you though - I have whacked a couple elk with the 325s, did both with short-range shoulder shots, and the critters just fell over. Same with elk killed with the 350 FPs - they just fall over. The 325s did some of the most severe bone damage I've ever seen - splinters of bone way far away from the wound channel. Never shot anything smaller (deer) with the 325 or 350 though, so cannot comment on performance on smaller game. I have enough .450 ammo to last me into the happy hunting grounds, and wish the rest of y'all the same fortune.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Well, you all owe me for this one. Cash gladly accepted....
If anyone needs Hornady Factory ammo I found a bunch for sale. He has both the LE stuff as well as the 350 JFP.
I don't know the price so you will need to call him and ask. I still have 4 1/4 boxes, so I am good for a while before I reload. Hope this helps out those of you in deed.

Taylor's Trading Post
730 Upper Temple Rd, Biglerville, PA 17307
(717) 677-8513

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
There is a small brick and mortar shop in Williamsport MD that has @12 boxes of LE at @$32.50 each box. If anyone is interested, let me know. I can check on boolit weight this Saturday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts