Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These critters started showing up in northern Sweden and Finland about ten years ago. Even better: they are considered ’fredlös’ in Swedish. ’Without peace’. In dutch it would be ’vogelvrij’, literally ’free like a bird’. It means outlawed. Basically, the ’US Bambi’ is an invasive species here in Europe, meaning you can take them year round. I think they actually compete with the ’EU Bambi’, the roedeer, but I’m not sure if they push them out of habitats.

I’ve started learning for the Swedish hunting exam, so that when I emigrate there I can do the exam faster and get a license faster. And it’s good for the language 🙂

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m moving as soon as I can find a job here. At this moment I’ve actually just woken up in a hotel room in the middle of Sweden and have a job interview in one of the neighbouring towns later this day. So it might actually be very soon!

Being able to hunt and becoming a small scale homesteader are some of the reasons I want to move here. Providing food for the family is important to me. And in Holland that’s not doable, unless you find some of those rare WW2 money bombs in your back yard;-) Land is expensive and so is a hunting license. And there are too few worthwhile game animals if you are looking to fill up the freezer. All because we are 17 million people living on 16000 sq miles. 1100ish people per sq mile on average, which is fifth densest in the world. Just way too many, living on one post stamp.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good Luck.....hope that you are successful on some of those “transplanted” varmints! memtb

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! October first I will start my new job in Härjedalen, Sweden. Now busy with the whole moving/ paperwork/ arrangements thing. I’m just missing moose season, but I’ll have plenty of time to get my license in order before next year’s season. Maybe I could get it done before the end of general hunting season so I can get some stuff done this season. But we’ll see. I have to build up a new (social) life as well, so busy, busy time coming up.

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
I’m moving as soon as I can find a job here. At this moment I’ve actually just woken up in a hotel room in the middle of Sweden and have a job interview in one of the neighbouring towns later this day. So it might actually be very soon!

Being able to hunt and becoming a small scale homesteader are some of the reasons I want to move here. Providing food for the family is important to me. And in Holland that’s not doable, unless you find some of those rare WW2 money bombs in your back yard;-) Land is expensive and so is a hunting license. And there are too few worthwhile game animals if you are looking to fill up the freezer. All because we are 17 million people living on 16000 sq miles. 1100ish people per sq mile on average, which is fifth densest in the world. Just way too many, living on one post stamp.
Curious what a WW2 money bomb is? Are you referring to unexploded ordinance?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a local joke. There is still unexploded ordinance all over the Netherlands from World War 2, compliments of, well, mostly the USA and UK actually. The joke is that you find one filled with cash. There is a similar one where you have a money tree in your backyard so you just pick what you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.