Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was volunteering at the North Florida Arms Collectors gun show in Jacksonville, FL last weekend. I was checking to make sure guns were wire tied. It was like being in a gun museum, except you can handle stuff. Anything from Flintlocks to MSRs and everything in-between. Found a 1980 Golden 39M. Paid more than I wanted to, but less than I have seen online or at other shows. The owner started at $795.00, dropped to $725.00 and finally $650.00 and no lower. 39M's in this area are scarcer than hens's teeth so I bought it. The wood is beautiful, blueing is 98% except the lever, which is a little less in my expert(?) opinion. What really sold it was when he let me take it apart. Looked like a new one ( JM not Remlin) inside. Took it to the range yesterday and had fun at a plate rack. It ran like a Swiss watch.
About an hour later, at the Gun Show, I heard about a 39A for sale and checked it out. It was a 1954 and not completely functional. I could tell the lever spring was broken, and the action felt gritty. He was asking $400.00, but he would have taken $350.00. Externally, it was very nice. I had no more money, so I didn't get it. 1/2 hour later, I sold something and when I went back to see if he would let me look inside, it was gone. Oh well.
Now for the something else. A elderly gentleman about my age had some handguns. He said he was a retired prop man for Hollywood and the guns were used in various movies. Don't know if he was blowing smoke or not, but he was fun to talk to. I bought a Liberty .357 Single Action made by Sauer and Son ( Before Sig-Sauer) in the mid 1970's. Blueing great and the action was tight. Paid $250.00. Shot to point of aim and was very accurate.
All and all , a very enjoyable weekend. Here are the pics. Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Liberty revolver had a set of polymer stag grips that were cracked. A friend of mine said he had a set of grips he might be able to fit to it. He had a set of polymer mother of pearl grips he has had for years. He couldn't get them to fit perfectly, but pretty close. He would not accept any payment, so I told him I will get even with him someday, hopefully when he least expects it, but needs it. ;D

Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the saga continues. Two weeks after the Gun Show, I attended the members swap meet and my local gun club. I got there at 6am to set up my table saw the area was pretty full. I set up and started to walk around. Just before I got to a table to see some rifles, someone I knew was walking away with an 1894 44mag with a scope. It was a 1988 production, looked great and he paid $280.00 for it. Then later while I was talking to someone at my table, the same guy found what I thought at first was a 1895 45-70. Nope! It was a Marlin .410 lever action shotgun. Price- $300.00. Again in very nice condition. Didn't see the manufacture date. I was feeling a little low, especially that the 1894 44mags are my favorite. I sold some stuff and another member had a .22 LR revolver for sale. It was a 1st gen Charter Pathfinder made about 1970. It looked almost new. He said since he knew me, he would sell it for $150.00. That perked me up and I bought it. Took it out and shot it. It worked most of the time but had light primer strikes. The firing pin looked a little short. I emailed Charter and got a reply 20 minutes later from Donna in customer service. She said to give her my address and she would send a new firing pin and firing pin spring at no charge. Got the parts 3 days later and tested again. 100% reliable and pretty accurate. Since that revolver was made, Charter has changed hands 3 times. They did not have to help me as they did. That says a lot about the current owners. Anyway, now I have another fun .22 to play with. It and my Ruger Bearcat make wonderful learning tools for my Grandkids.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Golphin- I didn't pass them by. Someone got to them before me. I would have bought both in a heartbeat. That was the best deal I have seen on Marlins in years. I know the guy that bought them. Maybe he will be willing to part with one of them for a slight profit. I'll talk to him about it next time I see him.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Love that Sauer&Sons Liberty. Seems like there used to be a LOT of SAA-clones. Now you don't see too many. Nice grab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.