Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded into this 1958/1959 20 inch barreled Mod 39A Mountie this afternoon at the LGS. First Mountie that I have ever seen in person. It has the wrong front sight hood on it--will have to look into getting the correct pre-1973 round model. It also has the old flat hammer extension with the JM proof mark---kinda nice seeing that on a '50s Marlin. I hope to get this rifle to the range this week if my work schedule allows that.
DSCF0121.JPG DSCF0122.JPG DSCF0123.JPG

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,963 Posts
My first Marlin is a Mountie. (New in '78)

I wanted a quality, forged steel and walnut gun that could shoot LR, Longs, and shorts and I got exactly that with the Golden 39M. I have my Browning Semi auto TD for its LR stuff.

AC

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first Marlin was a 1985 Model 30AS that has taken quite a few deer by me and my son. I gave it to sonny boy back in 1997--his first very deer rifle which started off his Marlinitis as it did for me.

·
Registered
29,614 Posts
Let me hang my head! I had two Marlin 39A Mounties! Sold both of them.

ca'jun56

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me hang my head! I had two Marlin 39A Mounties! Sold both of them.

ca'jun56
I hear ya! Wish that I didn't sell my S&W Mod 29 back in the early 1980s...…..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Great find!
As you might know, I searched all over the country for one for my wife. Used it today to win a match!
You will love it!

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats in nice condition too, congratulations on such a great find
This rifle is in very nice condition--probably spent a lot of its past in a closet or gun safe.

Reactions: Mike 2010

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Nice score! Good looking rifle.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Premium Member
10,752 Posts
Nice rifle. I don't think I have ever seem one for sale here either. I have 2 39a's one being the Carbine and the other a 1945 39a.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice rifle. I don't think I have ever seem one for sale here either. I have 2 39a's one being the Carbine and the other a 1945 39a.
Don't see that many regular 39As locally either. The LGS has a 1950s 39A for sale too---but I passed on that to get the Mountie.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very nice! Looks clean!

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope my wife doesn't take a liking to this one. That is how she got her 22 Mag Marlin Mod 25MN.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the Mountie to the range this afternoon. First shot at 25 yards was ~4 inches low, so I adjusted the rear sight upwards. After that---I was able to get both CCI standard velocity lead bullet 40 gr loads and Winchester standard velocity jacketed HP 40 gr loads to impact IVO the bullseye. At 50 yards, these rounds hit about an inch high. Once I figured that out, I was able to break up some orange clay bird remnants at 50 yards by aiming a little low. If I had a scope on this rifle---those groups would shrink considerably.
20191017_155403_V2.jpg 25 yard target pic----first shot impacted quite a bit lower before adjusting the rear sight upward
20191017_155433_V2.jpg 50 yard target pic--just took a couple shots to see the POI

·
Registered
416 Posts
It looks to be in excellent condition. Congratulations on a very nice catch. I regretted my sale to a friend of my 39A which was later stolen. I hunted squirrels with it in the "60s down near you in Gold Vein, Va. I wanted to replace that first 39A, but this next time with a Mountie. One finally turned up in a Northern Virginia pawn shop and I got it for a fair price. Mine was neglected but not abused. Yours seems new. Well done.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks---if I had good eyes--I could hunt squirrels with this rifle as is. I really don't want to put a scope on it so it will be religated to paper punching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts