Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working up loads for my new Rem 700 Mts Lss in 7mm-08. I've settled on 140Grn SBT Sierra Game Kings on top of Varget. I'm getting 1/2" CTC groups at 100 Yds with this combo.

Anyone got any experience with GK's on game? How did they perform? I'll primarilly be hunting whitetails, but there's always the chance of coming up on a big hog or a bear here in NW ARK.

firstshot
----------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've used Sierra GK bullets quite a bit over the years for hunting. I've killed hundreds of varmints with the .224 caliber 55g GKs with every single bullet performing exactly like the last, as well as terminal performance being exactly as I was expecting.

As a big game bullet, the Sierra GKs are my all around favorite. I've killed a lot of deer using the .243, .257, .277, and .308 calibers. I've never had a single GK bullet let me down, or fail in any way on a deer over the years, and believe me, I've killed a "lot" of deer with them.

I have to add that I'm refering to the soft point game kings here. The hollow point game kings(.257, and up) tend to be actually quite hard for a HP bullet. Occasionally, they'll open just a little bit, and punch right through a deer without doing enough damage, especially at lower starting velocities, or at extended ranges.

I will say that in my opinion(experience), the boat tail versions of the GK bullets seem to have just a slight edge over the flat based as far as "terminal" performance. They tend to penetrate slightly better, as well as straighter, and they also tend to hold a more uniform mushroom than a flat based does. The flat based versions perform very well too in these areas, but they're a little more likely to mushroom in a slightly irregular manner, which can lead to the bullet veering off it's path once inside the animal, and also hindering penetration slightly.

I think you'll be very satisfied with the load you're using right now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Sierra Game Kings. That's really good to hear on the Soft Point Boat Tail Game Kings, as that's exactly what I'm shooting. I've settled on 43.5Grn of Varget with the 140 SBT Game kings on top, which is yielding an average muzzel velocity of 2,867.

I'm using a Burris 3-9x40 w Ballistic Plex Reticle. With this reticle you sight in dead on at 100 Yds and then the reticle has markers on the verticle cross hair showing where you should hold at 200, 300, 400, & 500 Yds. The trajectory of this bullet powder combo almost exactly matches the Ballistic Plex Reticle trajectory. (See chart below)

For example, the 300 yd B-Plex aim point is expecting the bullet to be 13.5" low at 300 Yds. My ballistics program says the trajectory of this bullet/powder combo should be 12.9" low at 300 Yds. So, actual impact point @ 300Yds using the 300Yd aim point shoud be about a half inch high (+0.68").

_________Bullet_______________________B-Plex____Trjectory
Distance__ Height____Velocity___Energy___ Height____Difference
@100____ 0.00______ 2,657___ 2,194____0________ 0.00
@200____ -3.5______ 2,456___ 1,875____-3.1______-0.39
@300____ -12.9_____ 2,265 ___ 1,594____-13.5_____0.61
@400____ -29.4_____ 2,083 ___ 1,348____-30.1_____0.68
@500____ -54.5_____ 1,910 ___ 1,134____-55.3_____0.80

So, at distances out to 500Yds (not that I would take a shot that long), actual bullet impact points should be within an inch of the B-Plex aim points.

Most of my shots are 100Yds or less, so I really like being able to sight in dead-on at 100, instead of 2 or 3" high. Then, if I get into a situation where I need to take a 200-300 Yd shot (clear-cut, power line, food plot, etc) I can just use the appropriate P-Blex aim points.

I'm going to take her out this weekend and verify the impact point at 200Yds using the B-Plex 200YD aim point. Our shooting range only goes out to 200 Yds, so I'll have to wait till I can get down to the hunting club to validate the 300Yd impact point.

I'll let you know how it goes.

firstshot
---------------------------------------

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shot a 1.67" CTC group today at 200YDs using the ballistic plex reticles 200 Yd aim point. Appears to be dead on at 200 :D Can't wait to see how she does at 300YDS.

firstshot
---------------------------------------

G

·
I have a old 7-08 with a 18 1/2" barrel and I've found IMR4064 and compressed loads with MRP to give good accuracy but H414 for more velocity and accuracy with certain bullets and loads.

Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlueMoon

I just shot some work-up loads this morning for 154Grn Hornady Round Nose using H414. Shot eight different charges of H414 from 44.5Grn up to 48.0Grn in .5Grn increments and every single group was sub MOA. Two of the groups came in at .247" and .431" CTC @ 100 yds and the overall average for the eight groups was .665".

This is the first time I''ve loaded H414 and I was really impressed with the consistency of the velocities produced. For the eight loads, the average spread between high & low velocity was only 15 FPS. I'm thinking that had a lot to do with the consistent group sizes.

I'm thinking I'm going to be trying H414 with other bullets.

firstshot
----------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts