$8 / 20 CTGS (approx.)

Avg MV 1650, ME 2449 ft/lbs, Taylor KO value 43.72
Trajectory:+3.45 @ 100-yds, zero @ 150-yds, -8.14" @ 200-yds

@25yds I have one hole, @100yds I get nearly MOA

Compare that with Garrett's HAMMERHEAD AMMO
-----------------------------------------------
$55 / 20 CTGS

420-GR SUPERHARDCAST GAS-CHECKED HAMMERHEAD AT 1650-FPS

ENERGY: 2540 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 45; MEPLAT: .330"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 27,000-CUP; SAAMI COMPLIANT; TRAJECTORY: +3.5" @ 100-YDS, ZERO @ 150-YDS, -8.3" @ 200-YDS

More Info:
This 420-grainer will penetrate through the heaviest North American game from end to end and provides quick incapacitation. With a Taylor Knockout Value 10% greater than 300-grain bullets from the 375 Holland & Holland, it delivers brutal power with modest recoil.
-----------------------------------------------

Conclusion: handloading is fun and can save you money. :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I'm sure your dentist is delighted with your choice, he'll be able to sendf his kids to college with the money you'll be paying to have your fillings replaced every few months! :wink:

Seriously, it sounds like you found "The One". Now load a ton of it, engrave the details into the family Bible, and pass it on to your kids, along with the rifle!

Papajohn

·
Registered
135 Posts
sshhhh.. dont let jaco know you have a good load with the lowly 405 rem.
:lol:

jar

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jar-wv said:
sshhhh.. dont let jaco know you have a good load with the lowly 405 rem.
:lol:
The Rem 405 has completely different characteristics than a wide meplat hard cast GC, but I imagine it could do damage to much the same game. I would like to work up a load with a Beartooth 425gr Piledriver Jr. That would be a better match to the Garrett.

That being said, it should do fine on whitetail this fall. Actually, it would probably be fine on just about any North American game (except perhaps bison or a charging moose - So far, I haven't seen too many of those here in Missouiri! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Garrett Cartridges uses Cast Performance Bullet Company for their bullet cartridges. ANYONE can load their own if they have the mind to.

Yes, the Remington 405-gr JSP bullet will have a differant desired effect on the game you shoot with it, as to the effect that a Super Hard Cast Bullet will. I've yet to become a firm believer in the use of Super Hard Cast Bullets.

A buddy of mine, shot a 900 pound bison cow using the Remington 405-gr JSP with his 45-70 C. Sharps. The shot was ranged at 150 yards, broke ribs on both sides, passing thru with no bullet recovery. The bison after being shot, staggard and dropped 10 yards away.

Here's what Buffalo Bore Ammo had to say about Wide Meplats.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/meplats.htm

Very interesting to say the least.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Montanan said:
Garrett Cartridges uses Cast Performance Bullet Company for their bullet cartridges. ANYONE can load their own if they have the mind to.

Yes, the Remington 405-gr JSP bullet will have a differant desired effect on the game you shoot with it, as to the effect that a Super Hard Cast Bullet will. I've yet to become a firm believer in the use of Super Hard Cast Bullets.

A buddy of mine, shot a 900 pound bison cow using the Remington 405-gr JSP with his 45-70 C. Sharps. The shot was ranged at 150 yards, broke ribs on both sides, passing thru with no bullet recovery. The bison after being shot, staggard and dropped 10 yards away.

Here's what Buffalo Bore Ammo had to say about Wide Meplats.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/meplats.htm

Very interesting to say the least.
Thanks for the great info! I read the link, did a bit more searching and found this too:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/buffalo_cartridges.htm

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Montanan wrote:
That is "Totally" wrong..Garrett Cartridges cast there own bullets.They "Do Not" use commercially made bullets in there cast line of ammunition!!!!

Jayco

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Randy Garrett wrote:
The great majority of commercial bullet casters are using automatic casting machines, and they tend to be rather fussy about what kind of alloy is used. This shows itself as the percentage of bullets which must be rejected upon inspection. As a consequence, invariably, commercial casters use alloys that provide the best results (lowest rejection rate) as they come from the machine. I guess that's what one must do if one is married to an automatic casting machine, but I much prefer to use an alloy that has the best impact performance characteristics, and then find a way to cast good quality bullets with it. An advanced hand-caster can always work with alloys that just won't deliver acceptable rejection rates when used in an automatic casting machine, and that is why I hand-cast. There are many "tricks" to casting bullets by hand, and if one is good at it one can focus on using the best alloy, as determined by impact performance, and then make whatever adjustments are necessary in one's casting techniques in order to accommodate the "performance alloy." This is something that just cannot be done with automatic casting machines.

Truth be told, I spend more money on the materials that I use in my cast bullets than it would cost me to buy cast bullets from one the major bullet casters. All the extra work of casting them myself by hand is the only way I know of providing the maximum reliability and lethality. If I could simply buy a good cast bullet, I would. But I have yet to find anyone who commercially casts bullets with the hardness and freedom from brittleness that characterize mine. I sure wish I could find such bullets in the commercial market, because then I could spend more time in the woods instead of the shop
Jayco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts