Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting a couple hundred rounds through it, I decided it was time to take it to the range(Grandaddy's pasture). My "bench work" was done at 25 yards off the bed rail of my truck, using an old pillow for a sand bag and my hands for a vise. I had a box of 97.gr rn, a box of 115gr. fn and a box of 55gr. saboted Speer .224's.

I'll start with the worst and you guessed it. The accuracy of the sabots was dismal to say the least. But it was the best way I could think of to get them out of my shop, and I did have a good time getting rid of them.

The .313" 115gr. fn from Valiant Cast Bullet Co. did pretty good. I had 5 each of 10 different charges of Unique starting with 1.5gr and going up in .2gr increments to 3.3gr. The best 5 shot group I got with them was .743" center to center, if you don't count the flyer the other 4 measured .279" center to center. This was with the 1.9gr. load and the average velocity was 730fps. I only had 2 other loads that were under 1". the 2.7gr. load and the 3.1gr. load. The 2.7gr. load measured .944" center to center with an avg. vel. of 975fps. the 3.1gr. load measured .822" with an avg. vel. of 1031fps.

The best groups I got was from the box of .314" 97gr. rn bullets from my Lee mold that were lubed with Lee's Liquid Alox. I had 5 each of 10 different charges of Unique starting 2.1gr. and going to 3.9gr. 8 of the 10 5 shot groups were under 1". The largest group was the 2.3gr. load. It measured 1.191" center to center with an avg.vel. of 880fps. The best group I got was with the 3.7gr. load. It measured .486"center to center with an avg. vel. of 1285fps. If you don't count the flyer the other 4 measure .245".

I also had a couple boxes of the 115gr.'s that I seated over a charge of about 10gr. of FFg 777. I didn't shoot them for a group because I wasn't planning to load any more of them but, they didn't shoot too bad. I did shoot 10 of them over the Chrony, for an avg. vel. of 851fps.

(Insert Lawyers warning here)

It was a great day out with my new favorite rifle.

C.S.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dealer called Marlin today and I should have my 32 in 2 weeks according to them. I hope so!!!!!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear it. But I'll tell you what, I don't think you'll like it so to save you all the hassle and disappointment have them to send it to my dealer and I'll take good care of that clunker for ya'. :wink:

They are sweet little rifles. I thought about loading some up a little hotter like GLC, just to see what it'll do. I'm not sure how much more vel. my wheelweight 97gr.'s can take before leading. 1285fps may be getting close to thier limit.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya',
C.S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts