Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here stop to pick up brass in the field?

I do, and I've amassed a bit of a collection.... Latest find was Friday morning at the old gravel pit where I sight in and punch paper. A glint of brass in the sunlight caught my eye, and being me, of course I had to investigate... I came up with 5 empty federal 45-70 cases. Found the guy's target too- mean spread was about 18 inches over a home-made cardboard/electrical tape target. 3 shots were with-in 3"- the other two spread the group out.... Got me wondering- somebody with a new rifle mayhaps? Must be well-off, or poorly informed to let brass go like that...

At any rate, it was my first time seeing 45-70 in any shape or form.... definitely not the big kabooming howitzer that some would have us believe... and it ain't a straight walled case either- there is a slight taper from rim to case mouth.

My collection of brass ranges from the .17 Rem centerfire, all the way up to a .375 Mag- the 45-70 brass is a welcome addition to my set.

It was one of those days again- lost the hammer-spur off the 39-A, and it's going to take a metal detector to find it in all that gravel. I spent over an hour looking, and no soap. Did get the 39-A sighted in for the short, and the accuracy from this set-up is indded a welcome surprise. Shooting opportunities on small game are almost nil now, with all the b/p deer hunters running around- everything from sparrows and mice, to deer and moose are nervous and flighty.... I'll get that 39-A blooded yet- there's still a month left of bird season, and rabbits are a year long proposition :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It amazes me to see what people leave laying on the ground. I recently found some 7mm STW brass - now that sure looks like a barrel burner!

I also have about 2 - 300 pieces of 308 brass. Almost an excuse to buy a rifle in that cal. Lots of 270 brass, too! If any of you folks shoot that one, it's your for the asking.

Oddest brass I ever found laying around was some 223 blanks. And this was out in the buttes in a remote area. I cannot imagine what someone was doing way out there shooting blanks. 1969 Lake City brass. :?

I am too cheep to leave brass lay. SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
found brass

how about finding some 454 casull? and ONE 460 rowling auto brass!!!!!!
and i'd fight over finding 45-70 brass! :p
have found even weatherby stuff, 300 mag, and when the 'boys' bring their 'toys'.....bunches of 223 brass kick out in piles by the m-16's~ :roll:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They filmed the interiors for the movie "Christmas Rush" at my work in the spring of 2000. We were finding empty .223 blank brass by the bucketful. Prop master said that .223 blank is used in just about all hollywood movie guns. It ain't reloadable either- even as a blank- the severe folded crimp usually splits upon fring.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Since I shoot at my gun club, finding brass is a pretty common thing. Often it's some modern caliber, and about half the .223 I find is not reloadable, since it's berdan primed. Find a lot of steel .223 and 7.62x39 also.
I did find an ammo box in the garbage there one day, and when I pulled it out, it was 20 rds. of once fired .45-70 brass! All new Remington mfg. and I still wonder why someone took the time to box it back up, then toss the box? There's a bucket at the range to throw empty brass in, so no reason to toss it. Oh well, my gain!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like MM93, most of what I find is the Russian-made 7.62 x 39 with steel cases. I don't know what they are being fired out of, but, the primers are always seriously bulged out and deformed. LOTS of Wunder-9 and 40 S&W. One each: 50 AE and 500 S&W. One time I found 50 empty 38 Specials in a pile. All had the REM-UMC headstamp indicating 1960 or earlier. Over the past few years I have noticed that more and more shooters are scarfing up their brass. What pisses me off the most is finding hundreds of shotgun hulls from trap shooters. Over the past 30 years, we have lost more gravel pits due to trash and such. The county gets sick of it and barricades the roads with a few tons of dirt.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I live in a small town with a municipal owned and maintained range that is open to the public. I generally try to make the 2 mile trip once a week throughout the year to scrounge brass. This time of the year twice a week. I have found some real treasures over the years. I have 5 gallon buckets full of the common stuff - .223, .243, .270. .30-06, 9mm, 40 s&w, etc. etc. It amazes me also, how many people leave perfectly good brass (and boxes) lying around and in the garbage. Once a year I sell my excesses on ebay, and usually wind up with a hundred dollar bill in my pocket for my efforts. :wink:
On the same note... I make a hunting trip or two out west each fall. It is doubly amazing what I find out in the field. I have been in places that one would swear no man has ever stepped foot before, only to look down and see a spent cartridge looking back at me. Such was the case a week or so ago. One of my hunting party had downed a mule deer buck out in the deepest darkest part of the Rocky Mtns. in Colorado. I offered to make my way down to the animal while he tried to figure a route to get the animal out. While making the trek to the animal I happend to glance down and there was an old, tarnished cartridge lying at my feet. I picked it up and carried it for the rest of the trip in my pocket as my 'good luck charm'. It was headstamped "SUPER SPEED 30WCF". Obviously that cartridge has been laying there for a few decades.
Just kinda neat what can be found out there.....

WB

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always pick up brass. In fact, I take my son along and we make a game of seeing how much we can pick up. I have found boxes of .223, .45 Auto, 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Special, a few boxes of .30-06 and .30-30, .308 plus some cartridges like .300 Winchester Magnum and .30 Carbine. I guess people have more money than I do to be able to waste good brass.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've picked up hundreds of cases each of .45 ACP, 9mm, .38s, .357s, .243, .270, .30-06, .308, 7mm Mag, .44 Mag and .30-30. Some of just about everything else. .50 AE, .45-70, the short fat magnums, and so forth. Can't walk by it. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts