Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found beautiful 1968 336 .30-30 in OHIO, I live in NY. This is a 1968 beautiful looking rifle. the price is right the gun with 5 boxes of amo for 400. Sounds great so far. The seller only wants to do a face to face. Is it legal for me a NY resident to go to OHIO and purchase face to face. Or can we together to an Ohio FFL and make the purchase. Or as last resort give up on this purchase and give the information to Ohio residents.

Thanks for any input you may have on this subject

MR K

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
Meet face to face at an FFL in Ohio. Have FFL (if willing check before hand) ship to FFL in New York and transfer to you. Will cost you and yes technically it is illegal to sell firearms over state lines.

Will cost shipping and transform fees. For the right rifle it is a good approach. I also think some states have the ability to sell to residents of attached states but I am not sure of your rules.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too good to be true. As soon as I mentioned an OHIO FFL, the deal was off. Seems to me this is a big red flag. Something was not right with this transaction. Any way thanks for any input. I am still looking and will fine the right Marlin yet

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Yep, walk away from that one.

Reactions: 336 Fan and cds4570

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry the deal went bad, just keep looking around, you'll find what you want eventually!

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Better yet ..move out of NY!

Reactions: cds4570 and Mr k

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Stolen??

Shipping to a local FFL is a legal and standard business practice. That allows you to make a local purchase.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Could be the guy just wants to make sure the feds have nothing to do with it. No sins intended on his part. Might be he came by it the same way.

Is it illegal to have an unregistered long gun in NY?

Me I like face to face sales.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Could be the guy just wants to make sure the feds have nothing to do with it. No sins intended on his part. Might be he came by it the same way.

Is it illegal to have an unregistered long gun in NY?

Me I like face to face sales.
Me, too. Watching what's coming down the pike makes me think it's wise to minimize paper trails.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
long guns are okay for now do not know for how long. This makes me more sure I need face to face

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
This is probably just my ignorance showing (and perhaps TX/LA influence) - I was not aware that face to face sales were illegal anywhere. What happens face to face, stays face to face. Am I that uninformed?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Keep looking Mr K... I monitored gunbroker.com for just a few days (maybe a week) and saw some very good deals. Just wait until the very last minute to bid and pay attention in case someone comes in just under the wire a grabs it out from under you... That happened to me just last week - lost it in the going-going-gone phase (which I didn't even know existed!)

But it all worked out.. Stumbled upon an even better deal in the used rack at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. That's a haul for you, I'm sure, but, as others have stated, the deals are out there

Good luck!

RapidRoy... In NJ, that's a big no-no. Big brother likes to keep tabs on who has what

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
The letter of the law is clear. Private sales between residents of the same state ok.

Common practice is often like the military don't ask don't tell.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
yes armslist
There are a lot of scams on Arms List, it is the Craig's List of guns. There was one guy on there that almost scammed one of our members using the exact same pictures from a Gunbroker auction. He was reported and the next day he was running another ad with pictures taken from yet another Gunbroker auction.
Watch Gunbroker, check pawn shops, check gun shops and watch the sale section here on this site. Some amazing rifles come along.
Good luck!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just because he did want to meet face to face does not mean he was a criminal. I do like tranfers but they cost money as does shipping. Not to mention paper trail. I don't register a darn thing. Which is the reason I refuse to get a ccw because they want your list of handguns registered to you. For me I would go the aow route and make a gun that would fire 12 ga but I don't like finger printing and all that junk so unless stuff hits the fan I am not going to make it. I don't understand regration when Fedreral law states you can make a gun for personal use. You can not sell or transfer it. But if they don't hav e edicne if you made it or your kid how would they know? I look at guns the same way. I almost bought an s&w model 57 from a guy that was trying to sell to a dealer but the dealer refused to do a transfer with the gun in the shop. I said for a handgun I want a clean record far to many crimes with handguns. I have trade guns straight a cost a guns shows now paprwork or paper trails. COme to think of it thats why I like black poder guns no back ground check crap and you pay cash no record. The bad though is now you have to show id to buy powder and primers why? Or is that a Virgina thing?

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
765 Posts
I thought face-to-face long gun sales out of the state of residence were legal. It's handgun sales that aren't. ???

Reactions: cds4570

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
If I was listing on Armslist it would be for local face to face sale only. I would not sell a gun to someone that did not have valid ID or if anything seemed strange about it. If I am giving it for a good price it is not worth my time to go through a bunch of shipping money and rifle. I will just sell it local for 50 bucks less.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I bought a rifle off Armslist in a face to face with a Colorado resident. I am from Texas. To be in compliance with their new state laws we had to go to an FFL and I had to go through the background check and pay a transfer fee.

I think most Colorado folks are currently following the law with folks they do not know and ignoring it with people they know for sure are not trying to set them up for a fine. And there are LE folks pretending to be buyers or sellers.

You really just have to know the laws in the states involved their is no blanket rule that applies to all states.

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
244 Posts
The letter of the law is clear. Private sales between residents of the same state ok.

Common practice is often like the military don't ask don't tell.
No longer true or legal in NY. All sales must go through a NICS check, except imediate family, since the SAFE Act took effect here.

"1. General Business Law Article 39-DDD

GBL Article 39- DDD requires that all private sales of firearms, rifles or shotguns be conducted through a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer. Before any private sales may be made, a NICS check must be conducted by a dealer on the purchaser. While a dealer is not required to facilitate a private sale, if a dealer chooses to do so, he or she must create and maintain records relating to private sales to prove that the background checks were conducted. These records may be inspected by a police officer and are not subject to public disclosure under the FOIL provisions. The Safe Act provides that a dealer may charge up to $10 for facilitating these private transactions"

"3. Potential Charges

GBL Section 898 (6) / Unlawful Private Sale of a Firearm, Rifle or Shotgun.

A knowing violation of these new provisions of the General Business Law, regulating the private sale of firearms, is a class A misdemeanor. The enforceable subdivision is subdivision (6) of GBL section 898."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts