Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the gunshow this weekend, I found another 35 made the same year as the last one I had (1950) and sold to a friend. It is pre-microgroove, not drilled, and in great shape. The only exception is the rear sight was removed and a filler blank added. It has a steel Lyman receiver sight mounted. Everything else is original and in great shape.

If anybody has a period rear sight, I might be interested. Please let me know. Thanks

Live well

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Big Redhead,

Great find! Those old SC's are a joy to behold. The fact that it's a .35, untapped and Ballard style adds that much more mystique.

Hope you find a rear sight of the same ventage.

Do you make a habit of tearing down a "new" rifle to see what it has been through?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
BRH,

thats how I felt last week when I found a 1957 336 RC in 35 Rem..Good luck with the gun as I will be trying mine out tomorrow :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Big Redhead, I may have a period rear sight. I'll check my parts.
I recently got a replacement for the 1950 .35 I traded to a friend. Mine is a 1955 version, so it's Ballard rifled also, but first year for scope mounting, so it has factory holes! That was better for my old eyes, as I can't see the irons like I used to, and I'd hate to drill a nice old 336!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
So is it a carbine or sporting carbine? :shock:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sidespin,

If I could see crud anywhere through the the various openings (e.g. ejection port) I would strip it for a good scrub. But this one looks like it has been used very little. The blueing inside the receiver, in the bolt raceway, is not very worn. I don't think it's even broken in. It looks clean inside.

Thanks ChipM. Back at ya'.

Thanks mm93. A replacement sight would be sweet. Rest assured I will not drill either the receiver or the stock. I would sell it and get a beater first.

big med, the barrel says S.C. I love that design. I prefer the straight stock, but c'est la vie.

At the same show I also picked up a like-new liberty Ruger#3 in 45-70. Those are getting hard to find. Anobody got a spare 30-40 barrel for a #3, or a #3 in 30-40 for sale? The fat rouge-crowned one says "pretty please."

Live well, at least as well as sidespin (not hard)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts