Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing well lately and not buying any more rifles although buying revolvers is just as bad or maybe worse as they cost even more most times. Well today I walked into a pawn shop in Ocala and the is a J C Higgins model 45 in 30-30. Made in 58-59. Tried to leave it as they would not come down from $499. as they had only had it on the rack for a hour. Left the store got in the truck then though better and went back and bought it. I guess I needed it as I have a old Redfield peep sight I need to put on something. The stock has been painted with something but not sanded down so it should refinish nice. Metal looks unmolested and screws are not damaged.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You are a BAD influence! You know that?! Every time I get on my computer and say, "That's enough! I am not looking at anymore gun auctions." You done bought another gun, so I know I can't possibly own too many!

Wouldn't be bad but, I had saved a bunch to "Watch" on a sale coming up tomorrow, and there are 3 Marlin 30-30s under $400, at 20 hours out, none of which are in too bad a shape for their age 1936, 1951, and 1975 manufacture.

There's one Marlin Lever on there I want bad, but it's already at $750, pretty sure it's not done yet, and then there's 18% commission and shipping to boot.

Just got my Model 75C in today, know I didn't do bad there. Dents in the stock were minor when I unpacked it. Looked way worse in pictures than what they are. Walked out the Pawn Shop with it, got in the Durango, backed around to leave, and pickup comes screamin in from the convenience store next door, guy rolls down the window and wants to know if I was buying it, or trying to sell it, he'd sure be interested if I was selling and they didn't offer me enough money!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bet she will clean up and shoot nice . I know your pain the local gun shop who is only into black rifles and tactical stuff took in a 1977 336 in 30-30 that looked to be unfired. I happen to stop in and saw it even though It was super clean I thought I really don’t need another and went to walk out when the manager said how about $350.00 ! They call me the Marlin guy and know I’m an easy target , Dang she shoots lights out , maybe just one more ...

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Awesome Tim! I couldn't have left such a sweetheart behind either! Hope you have ammo to give a range report!

It's in great condition to be my age. Wish I'd treated myself that nice along the way. CONGRATULATIONS!

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome Tim! I couldn't have left such a sweetheart behind either! Hope you have ammo to give a range report!

It's in great condition to be my age. Wish I'd treated myself that nice along the way. CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks,
I agree, I am not in as good of shape either and was born in 58. I have factory and I reload 30-30 so no problem with ammo. Working on the stock now already striped it and steamed out a couple of small dent. One I get it back together I will test it out.

·
Premium Member
17,015 Posts
Hey Golf,

Proud of you!

You are an inspiration to us all!

What a swell looking Sears Rifle...

Am sure you will have it fixed up in a jiffy!

Look right Snazzy with that Redfield!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got one today as well. Hard to pass them up. A 68 Glenfield 30. Needs the stock refinished but has not been shot a lot. Bought five scopes last weekend in a good auction and they were just looking for something to be attached to. She now sports a B&L 4000 in 2.5 x 10. Will enjoy seeing what this one likes. She is Micro grooved. My 63 JC Higgins 45 is ballard rifled so I Imagine yours is to. Looks good!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice rifle, stock doesn't look all that bad in the pictures.
I too have a soft spot for Marlin and store brand levers made from the 50's and 60's, once you get past 2 or 3 whats one more.
$500 is a bargain today for a fine specimen from years gone bye.

REK

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Nice rifle, stock doesn't look all that bad in the pictures.
I too have a soft spot for Marlin and store brand levers made from the 50's and 60's, once you get past 2 or 3 whats one more.
$500 is a bargain today for a fine specimen from years gone bye.

REK
Lol, I have 5 30-30's at the moment. 🤣🤣🤣
Not all Marlins though.

RP

·
Super Moderator
16,011 Posts
@Golphin that is one sweet-looking rifle!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You are a BAD influence! You know that?! Every time I get on my computer and say, "That's enough! I am not looking at anymore gun auctions." You done bought another gun, so I know I can't possibly own too many!

Wouldn't be bad but, I had saved a bunch to "Watch" on a sale coming up tomorrow, and there are 3 Marlin 30-30s under $400, at 20 hours out, none of which are in too bad a shape for their age 1936, 1951, and 1975 manufacture.

There's one Marlin Lever on there I want bad, but it's already at $750, pretty sure it's not done yet, and then there's 18% commission and shipping to boot.

Just got my Model 75C in today, know I didn't do bad there. Dents in the stock were minor when I unpacked it. Looked way worse in pictures than what they are. Walked out the Pawn Shop with it, got in the Durango, backed around to leave, and pickup comes screamin in from the convenience store next door, guy rolls down the window and wants to know if I was buying it, or trying to sell it, he'd sure be interested if I was selling and they didn't offer me enough money!!
My late wife used to say, " He can't have too many. Problem is he can never have enough!"

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have been doing well lately and not buying any more rifles although buying revolvers is just as bad or maybe worse as they cost even more most times. Well today I walked into a pawn shop in Ocala and the is a J C Higgins model 45 in 30-30. Made in 58-59. Tried to leave it as they would not come down from $499. as they had only had it on the rack for a hour. Left the store got in the truck then though better and went back and bought it. I guess I needed it as I have a old Redfield peep sight I need to put on something. The stock has been painted with something but not sanded down so it should refinish nice. Metal looks unmolested and screws are not damaged.

View attachment 852737 View attachment 852738 View attachment 852739
Yeah, you need this rifle. Good thing you turned around and went back...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts