Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..In my travels I came across a pretty nice model 39. It has a carbine length barrel, straight stock, round barrel, blued receiver, blued trigger.
I think it's a 'mountie' variant from the early fifties. And there is a serial no. under the lever on the lower tang, which is L42XX. Barrel is not microgoove. Got a lyman receiver peep and a ramped square front sight. The condition is actually quite good...no pits, bluing good, barrel bright; all in all about 90%.
So, what is a value for such a Marlin?
And can this rifle fire high speed ammo?

.......thanx all........................TM7

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
TM7-

The description of your rifle makes it a Mountie. The "L" pre-fix to the s/n indicates a manufacture year of 1954. Can't estimate a value on it, but good ones go for 400.00 and up, from what I've seen around the internet. The short barrels and straight stocks make these little rifles extremely popular for the shooting crowd....

Your rifle will be fine with high velocity ammunition- no problems there. It MAY shoot a little more accurately with target velocity ammo...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
TM7,
By the way, what you have is a 39a Mountie, not a 39. The last model 39 was made in 1938.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc and MMan93,
....Well I actually took ownership of this Mountie today [200 dollars], pretty nice shape and everything functions and fires just fine. And I will continue to tune it in just as soon as I can figure out how to get it back together. Yep, I took it down to clean it thoroughly and look at that elegant design...and I'm having a problem reassembling :oops: :oops: :oops: .

So what is the proper way to get the bolt and two receivers back together?
I also would like to remove the ejector which is attached to the left receiver half, i.e. the half with the barrel attached?

thanx all for any help..................TM7

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
To re assemble the 39-A, the hammer should be on it's first, or safety step ( half-cock ). The lever should be almost closed- I have mine just slightly open to re-assemble- makes it a little easier.

The ejector and it's frame are secured to the receiver by two machined screws accesible from the outside of the reciever. Be sure to use a screwdriver of the proper size- the heads on these screws are easy to tear with an ill fitting screwdriver. What appears to be a screw in front of the ejector (Inside the receiver) is actually a locking rivet. It is used to lock the ejector down so a cleaning rod will be able to pass.

The bolt will easily go back in by lining up the projection on it's bottom so it is in front of the stop at the rear of the receiver. You will have to push against the ejector tension on the side of the bolt in order for it to slide into the closed position.

An owners manual is available for free from Marlin. You will have to write to them via snail mail to order your manual. There is no service over the internet for this. Be sure to include your model andserial number so the proper manual is sent. It has good instructions for assembly/disassembly.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc,
....Yep, I kinda figgured out when the light of day arrived [old eyes in dim light]. My ejector can be held down by rotating the rivet that you mentioned. Then I inserted the bolt all the way; and with the trigger on half cock, and with the lever closed the two halves went together pretty slick. Finally, opened the bolt and turned the rivet to allow the ejector spring to release. So that's that.
....Only concern is that 'rivet' ejector retainer is mighty loose....if it turns to the ejector held down position the ejector tip will contact it when the bolt is levered closed and possibly damage the rivet and tip of the ejector during cycling. Is that a concern or a problem with the 39 series???

....thanx..........TM7

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
TM7 said:
Doc,
....Only concern is that 'rivet' ejector retainer is mighty loose....if it turns to the ejector held down position the ejector tip will contact it when the bolt is levered closed and possibly damage the rivet and tip of the ejector during cycling. Is that a concern or a problem with the 39 series???

....thanx..........TM7
The ejector lock-down rivet is quite loose on my rifle- a '54 - but no problems with it...

Wuchak-

I tried your link and got a DNS error on it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NebrHogger said:
200 bucks?? That was a decent price! SW
....Yep, I'm pretty happy, never had one of these 39 types before, and it's solid and slick. I noticed the windage knob and screw is broken off the lyman model 56 rec'vr sight,,,hope I can find some replacement parts for this sight. Yep, a good deal for me alright and I just can't imagine a vintage 1954 rifle looking much better than this mountie.

...Been firing remington shorts thru it, and not too bad at 25yds, although I don't have much faith in remington 22 ammo. The rifle did fail to load a fresh cartridge a few times, seems the carrier stayed down and the lever hung up in the open position. Maybe me short stroking it a little...but I pointed the muzzle down and tapped the receiver a few times and the lever would than close....might need an adjustment....seems all OK with long rifle.

...And guess what, Yep!...my wife claimed it as her owned!

.....................TM7

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
TM7,
You got a lot of gun for the money! The early 39a's are pretty nice guns, and very desireable too. Especially the straight stocked 20" Mounties.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Both of my previous posts have had the link fixed. I had to put a space between the end of the link and the period.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wuchak said:
Both of my previous posts have had the link fixed. I had to put a space between the end of the link and the period.

Thanx wuchak, I found the 39a owners manual on steve's. I think I'm all straight away on the 39a now.

...............TM7

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Ya know, now that I think about it, I recall learning to use some of the more "colorful" words in our language the first time I tried to reassemble a 39 - Now I just go ahead and say then up front to save time....

Shum8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts