Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've racked up on a couple awesome pawnshop finds this week(including a 94 Winchester Ranger for $150 in great shape that was sold as out of order due to a $4 screw missing) and they keep coming. I found an immaculate 1894CP that I can get for about $450-475OTD. Nice feeling little rifle, however the only thing I'm concerned with is muzzle blast. I know a .357 will deafen you to begin with but I have never fired a ported one and kinda fear doing so. I'll probably make it a little truck rifle for odd and end critters and maybe do some hog/bear hunting with it.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
You know that answer already.

BUY! BUY! BUY!

You can rebarrel it if you don't like the ports. Or maybe you can tap the ports and put some set screws in them.

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
The CP is one to buy. Short catalog life but so was the 336CB .30-30 and marauder. My CP is the most accurate of my 3 357s. My daughter paid 565. for a copy. They have sold much higher.

Papalote

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Its a little louder but its no biggie...just wear earplugs and muffs for long range sessions and for those shots at game in the field ,..you'll never notice anything but the target going feet up,..buy that thing!

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Are you kidding me? Don't buy the CP, they're really bad on accuracy and just an overall problem gun. Now, if you tell me where you found it I'll take it off the market so nobody else buys it by mistake. Since I'm a professional I'm qualified to remove this object of obsession from the pawn shop and provide the proper disposal of said gun. ;D Just curious, what condition was it in? Sometimes they polish them up to tempt the uninformed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one of these in a FTF transaction a month or so ago. I thought I was buying a 1894C, and we he showed up with this short-barrelled thing, I almost didn't buy it. Mine's has less than a box through it and a cheap scope mounted on it. I haven't shot it yet.

I'm still trying to get a decent idea of it's value. I've seen one on AR15 sell recently for $650, and haven't seen one listed on gunbroker or gunsamerica in several months.

I'd say $450 is a great price, and if you don't like it, you'll have no problem selling it for more.

I'd still like to know how much mine's worth....

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Welcome Garndawg!

Sounds like one of the short barreled LTDs in .357 maybe? Post pics!

Start a new thread and post pics, that is.

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think so, as it's labeled as a 1894CP...

Will post soon as my camera and the rifle get together again.

In the meantime, I would suggest to the OP that price is a very good one. But I would like to have a second opinion as to the real value of a 95% 1894cp.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The 1894CP was made from 2001- 2002 and was a standard catalogued model. They're nice handy guns, but I always wondered why bother to put ports on a 357 rifle?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
The 1894CP was made from 2001- 2002 and was a standard catalogued model. They're nice handy guns, but I always wondered why bother to put ports on a 357 rifle?
Ports were all the rage then. There was a large number of guns I was interested in at that time, then makers started porting them. Taurus never stopped. At least S&W made porting an option.

Jon

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I think I may go get it. I was gonna use that cash to get a Rossi Ranch hand and pay my $200 tax stamp but I'm kinda thinking get that CP and chop the barrel down to the wood. Either way I'll have the same invested in it by the time it's all said and done. Oughta be a dandy for home defense and carrying in some thick woods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts