Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the pawn shop after lunch on Wednesday and picked this up. Had to wait to get it until after work (something about firearms on base). Couldn’t believe it when i saw it, had to do a double take. 1951 SC in 30-30, with an untouched waffle top. Looks like the butt plate is not original, and the spacer is gone along with the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nice snag! I need to visit the pawn shop more often. The bad thing is I had never seen an SC before joining this group 5 years ago. I've not ever seen one in this town. My FIL had an ADL that was beautiful and influenced my first rifle purchase, a 336C.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is a great find, it looks brand new in the pictures or did someone do a really nice job of restoring it?
I have a few old 53' SC's, but they were not waffle tops, last year I finally found a SC waffle top in 35R and then Wednesday I found one in 30-30, had to go back on Thursday to get it.
Both of mine have the same wear of the bluing on the receiver, they have stories to tell.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
Congratulations. I have done that as well on my lunch break, paid for it there but had to wait until after work to pick it up. Crazy thing is we have shooting on base on the weekends but there's a lot of red tape for that and it is pistols only.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
As cowboydave already said, those early guns didn't have the white spacers.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My first and favorite 336 is an SC in 30-30 from 1951. I bought it without knowing the rare gem I was getting, because the gun store owner priced it no higher than used 336W models. It was already drilled and tapped, and shoots sub-1" groups at 100 yards with two handload recipes.

It will never be for sale during my lifetime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.