Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been doing more reading than posting lately, always trying to soak up more knowledge from the "ones who know". ;)

I have been wanting to get another 1893 to match the one I found earlier this year... the one I have been using in the silhouette matches out here on the nutty left coast. Well today was my lucky day... this beauty happened to walk by and I was able to reel it in. It's an 1893 from 1901. It appears to be all original, and none of the screws look like they have ever been screwed with ;) It has a little bit of color on the receiver, not much, but a little. The bore is described as "very good to fine" condition.

Here are the pics:

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
The pictures indicate you did well. Nice looking rifle for it's age. Range report is next step. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Congrats,
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Man that is suuuhhhhweeeeet!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm kind of shocked that it doesn't have the dark patina of my other one... looks too good to be true :)

I'll be posting a range report as soon as I get her home!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd call it 'stately'. It has lofty or imposing dignity. The old Marlins just have a stately look compared to newer versions.

Where does one find such a rifle?

Is this to be a shooter? I don't know anything about 38-55; is that an extinct caliber?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one was in a large gun auction in southern California, mixed in with all kinds of Winchesters and Colt pistols, etc. I think this was the only 1893 in the group of 500+ lots.

I did buy it to be a shooter. I have been shooting silhouette matches a few years but just recently tried the lever action version this year... I'm having a blast doing these matches!

I would definitely say the 38-55 is "lost but not forgotten", as it seems to be one that not too many people know about. I found my first one by accident, as I thought I was buying a 30-30, based on the auction description. I started researching this cartridge and now I can't seem to stop! I shot a match Saturday morning and scored a 29/40, which is my best yet. The guys at the range can't believe how long it takes for a ram to go down, especially with the bullet going so slow you can watch it fly ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WHAT RANGE DO YOU COMPETE AT WITH THE LEVER GUNS THANKS:questionmark:
Hi Moe, I shoot the Lever guns at the United Sportsman Range in Concord, Ca. It's owned by 5 clubs and I believe Diablo Gun club is the one that runs most of the Silhouette matches there. Are you local to Concord, or Nor Cal at all?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm really happy with this rifle, she is a beauty!! I picked it up last Thursday while I was on a trip to SoCal for some Tuna fishing. Here is what she looks like up close:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts