Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped on the way home at my local small gun shop to look around. The owner sets guns aside for me, if he thinks I might be interested.
When I walked in the door, he said he had something for me to look at. He handed me a model 39 from the early 1920's. Pretty nice gun, but sometime way back when it had the receiver blued. The rest of the gun looks original, and in great shape, so I'm guessing that some joker thought when the case colors faded, he should have the receiver blued. It does have a nice Lyman locking base tang sight, and a beautiful bore, so that's a plus!
After looking it over, and pointing out the reblued receiver, I asked what he needed to get for it. His reply was $200, so I guess you know where it is now! My other Marlin 39 is a 1938 vintage, so this gives me an early gun. Since the barrel and wood is so nice on this gun, I may decide to send the receiver out, and have it recased to bring it back to original. If not, it'll make a classy shooter!

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=13

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You did very well at 200 on that rifle, MM-93!!! There is a 39 making the rounds up here with a severely pitted recevier, and the guy won't budge off 375. I shudder to think of what the bore looks like with the receiver that bad. Nice pix- let us know how she shoots!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the action is buttery smooth, and the hammer drop is a bit lighter than most of my Marlin .22's. The trigger breaks at a crisp 2 lbs., and if it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be in hog heaven!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Way to go mm93. What a steal!! Of course that gun store owner knows that he can make it up on VOLUME of sales to you! What a great situation, a great looking gun, probably a great shooting gun, cheap ammo and a great price.

What year did Marlin begin making the 39 safe for high velocity loads?

I can't remember what you did with that Colt Lightning that you bought a while back. Did she shoot OK?

HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS, BUDDY.

Geoff

·
Registered
579 Posts
MM93, I just got one last month with Lyman tang with two screw in inserts and ivory bead front. Mid to late 1920's and have been having a ball with it and shorts. I haven't been taking any of the bigbore stuff out lately. Congrats. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geoff,
Yes, he has already made it up in volume, but I'm pretty sure I'm ahead on the deal, since I'm too tight to pay more than bargain prices! :D
One of the ways I try to repay him, (beyond gun purchases) is to assist him when he needs advice on guns he's buying, or selling. He's a small dealer, and not totally familiar with much of the early stuff that comes into his shop for sale. He calls me when he's not sure, and I try to assist over the phone, so he can make a reasonable offer. In return, I sometimes get offered the gun, if it's something I might like. I didn't help him on this gun, as he's gotten better, but he still was thinking of me when he picked it up.
As for the Colt Lightning; well it shot pretty good, but it has found a new home. A friend/dealer offered me about twice what I paid for it, and I saw more Marlins and single shots that the profit could buy! So as much as I liked it, it didn't fit my collection, and the money was better spent on guns like this model 39. I'm not rich, so I need to sell some, to finance the ones I keep.
Marlin model 39's with HS prefix were safe for high spped ammo, and they started in 1932 making these guns. A number of older model 39's were then sent back to the factory to be retrofitted with high speed bolts, and unfortunately not marked for this change. The only way to tell if one was changed, is to open it up, and check the bolt. If the cut in the bottom of the bolt (in front of the locking lug) is all the way across the bolt surface, it's a standard bolt. If it only goes part way through, it's a high speed.
Moodyholler,
Most of my .22 shooting has been done with my 1957 vintage Mountie, or my 1938 vintage model 39, which is a HS bolt. I still shoot standard velocity in all of them, just because that's what I buy. I need to get out shooting, but with elk hunting starting next weekend, I'll be busy every weekend through mid March, or until I get my elk!

·
Registered
719 Posts
mm93 magnet up and working!

HHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUuuuuuummmmmmmmmm.................snatch!

and that my friends.....is the sound of the mighty~marlin~man magnet at work....AGAIN!!!!!!!

:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't find the off switch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts