Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Marlin owners,

I went to a large flea market with my son and a buddy yesterday. I found an old Marlin 1894 in caliber 44W (?) that was well worn, but appeared serviceable. The guy had the lever tie-wrapped shut so I didn't cycle the action. He was asking $275 for it. I thought about buying it but I am not too familiar with the value. Does anyone know the approximate value of a gun like this in about 75% condition? I appreciate all replies.

While we were there I did pick up a mint H&R Whitetails Unlimited 1997 commemorative 45-70. It came with original box, brand new set of RCBS dies, one full box of Federal ammo, one full box of Sierra 300 gr bullets, and 3 boxes of once-fired brass. I had a spare Williams WGRS at home which I quickly installed. This is quite a nice rifle and one I have long desired to own. Just what I need - another 45-70. :)

Live well

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
For 275, I would guess the barrel is shot. Probably end play in the bolt, too. For that low price, it would be good trading stock, though. Had I been there, I most likely would have bought it. They can be relined and re-headspaced for around 180 bucks. Then there would be potential for a small profit from the cowboy shooting game crowd. SW

·
Registered
127 Posts
I might just be lucky, but I've bought 3 1894's in the last year for $250 each. Two were 44's and one was 357. Unless they sold it last week, I know where another pre-safety 357 is for $285(Security Pawn, Salisbury, NC). Maybe it's a regional thing. I bought the last 44 just a couple weeks ago. They were all in excellent conditon and very accurate. I should be happier than I am , I guess.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That wouldn't have been an original 1894 in .44-40 caliber would it? I'm sure if so that would have been a very fair price.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I see a lot of the second generation 1894's in the $250-$300 range, but I can't tell you the last 1894 in .44-40 that I saw for under $400. Even dogs get way more than $275!
I bought a 1894 carbine last month in .32-20, from around 1910 era, and gave $275 for it. I figured it was a screaming deal, though the larger calibers generally get better prices in these very early guns.
Hope you can go back for that one!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Big -

Just a heads up: if you're drawn to the 44-40 and want a shooter, not a collector - e-gunparts.com will sell you a marlin factory 44-40 barrel for $60. That's how we're currently taking data for the 44-40: swapped the barrel off a 44mag 1894 ($175-200 used) and spun the 4440 barrel on. Yes the 4440 rim is 12 thou larger and 5 thou thicker, but 2200 rounds later working just fine.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

www.gmdr.com/levern/2004-1587.jpg 44-40 launching 240gr rnfp lead, 10 shots/50yrds

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know about a website, but just look in any reloading manual. The Lymans manuals give all the specs for whatever ails ya.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
35hunter,

No, I didn't get it. I'm starting to wish I had though. I am starting to bond with the H&R commemorative I did get though. Don't know what it is about those single-shots, but I love 'em.

Sidespin,

That's a dangerous question, asking someone to tell you where to go. ;)

Live well

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sidespin -

Actually, the 44-40 is an interesting cartridge... especially if you're interested in shooting lead or reduced loads. Our take is to use the 44RM for full house jacketed loads (ie, hunting etc), and the 44wcf for the rest.

The two biggest problems with the 44wcf are: the use of the 200gr rnfp, and the lack of .429 sized bullets (and these aren't *really* problems). I guess for the wheelgun shooters, the 200 generates less recoil, and said shooters probably aren't concerned about 1" 50 yards groups... but in the marlin getting 3 or 4" 10 shots groups at 50 are a pain in the tail... but most of the .429" bullets that are available are the 200. We've been shooting both 240gr swcl's and rnfp's of late and the group sizes have decreased by better than half [std 240gr groups are running 1.5-2"]. Given our results, we're hoping to convince OrgnTr to stock the .429" 240gr rnfp or swcl as std items (currently they're special order - no extra cost, just a time delay).

This is one of the targets from last tuesday's range session:

www.gmdr.com/levern/2004-1587.jpg

(44-40 marlin 1894s, 20" 1:36, 240gr rnfp .429", 7gr waap, 1.595" wlr, 1130fps 6.8sd)

The other aspect of the 44wcf is its thinner brass, ie, even at very low pressures one doesn't have chamber sealing problems (that one has with the much heavier 44 rem mag brass).

All said and done - a fun cartridge.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
SINGLE SHOTS! Ah, now there's something I can truly appreciate! I mean, besides Marlins!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts