Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i bought my first Marlin sight unseen, just one dark small picture online. Only said it was Marlin Lever Gun in 45 Colt. I am looking for a pistol caliber 45 colt for deer season. So i show up at my FFL and see the mint original box. Got a little excited. Opened the box, found gun in original plastic bag, more excitement. Slid it out, STUNNED! Mint condition, color case hardened Cowboy Competion model. Wow! I still can't believe it. I figured must be a chinese repo, so I looked at barrel base and there it was.... The "JM" beauty mark! I know its worth more than I paid, but how much? Only down side, being the competition model the receiver is not drilled and tapped for scope ( my eyes just cant see irons anymore). So now what to do? Vault queeen? Most likely, but I still need. 45 Colt deer hog gun. Pictures coming

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Very Nice! I found one of those at a lgs last year, had a little bit of bluing loss on the barrel and was just under $1000. I could'nt swing it at the time, but I thought it was a bit high with the bluing loss.

If it were me I would keep it. Any reason you need a 45 colt deer gun? There are lots of options!

Reactions: Turt

·
Super Moderator
17,097 Posts
The few I found on auction sight went from 800.00 to 1400.00...

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
That's a beauty!! 45 Colt has killed a pile of deer over the last 100 plus years. I bet it still will. I'd not alter the receiver on that for a scope though. Maybe you can just shoot the 50 yard deer?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Turt, that's a beautiful rifle, good score on that rifle....I'm thinking I really want a 1894 in .45 Colt more and more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right Dan, I cannot bring myself to alter this one. It is just too nice as is. Either wait for closer deer, or continue to use my rifled slug gun and keep this one for the collection and some range time. I guess getting surprised by receiving a gun in too nice of condition is a good problem to have.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I am willing to do a fellow Hoosier Marlin Owner a favor. I will trade my 44 mag, dies, brass, and any ammo I have for your rifle. I hate to see an unused rifle.:wink: Nice score on a rare Marlin.
What part of Indiana are you from? Can it be set up for peeps?

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and Turt

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wow!....just...WOW!
(get glasses if you have to! DON'T D & T that beauty!!!!!)
NICE FIND!!

Reactions: Turt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve - i appreciate the generous offer, but don't think I can part with it. I thought of peep, but no place to mount without mod. I'll try it out with my reading glasses, otherwise someday my son (or daughter) will be as overjoyed as I am. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
don't know what you paid but that there is money in the bank! Christmas in july.
beautiful

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and Turt

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Absolutely a Beautiful rifle. Congratulations. You maybe able to buy a Skinner peep sight for the dove tail rear sight. The peeps can help with older eye's. The Skinner has some for Henry rifles that if you contact them they may work on that rifle. Just a thought to help keep it as a Deer rifle. I hate to see a classy rifle like that not used. If you don't use it the people that receive it up on you're passing will probably use it anyway so why don't you enjoy it also. It won't hurt value that much at all.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Some optometrist's will work you on a good sight picture, prior arrangements are a must. You only need to see the front sight clear to shoot well. One lens for good vision, the other for the sights. For me I move the rear sight up the barrel but on my muzzle loaders I have 35" to work with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely a Beautiful rifle. Congratulations. You maybe able to buy a Skinner peep sight for the dove tail rear sight. The peeps can help with older eye's. The Skinner has some for Henry rifles that if you contact them they may work on that rifle. Just a thought to help keep it as a Deer rifle. I hate to see a classy rifle like that not used. If you don't use it the people that receive it up on you're passing will probably use it anyway so why don't you enjoy it also. It won't hurt value that much at all.
That's a great suggestion "j". I will look into it, as I really want to use it. Was Never big on just leaving in vault to sit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some optometrist's will work you on a good sight picture, prior arrangements are a must. You only need to see the front sight clear to shoot well. One lens for good vision, the other for the sights. For me I move the rear sight up the barrel but on my muzzle loaders I have 35" to work with.
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"j". I think this just may work. Barrel Mount

1 - 20 of 35 Posts