Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Nice rifle. You probably know this, but a lot of powder isn't required. I use a reproduction .58 Enfield Artillery Model for deer, with a regulation mini ball load, and she does does just fine.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I got one of those in kit form from Cabela's about 20 years ago. The twist is not correct for minie balls, but it shoots round balls very well. Mine is in flintlock and has always performed very well.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Nice rifle. Looks like someone browned the barrel but not the rib, might just be the light though. Should be a good deer thumper.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I have been using one of these guns for 20 plus years. I bought another when Cabelas decided to discontinue them. A patched round ball 575 dia with ten thousand patch and 90 gr of 2ff powder will go through a deer no matter which end or side you shoot it from. Never had much luck with the mini balls it has a 1-48 twist that is supposed to handle both, but I had better luck with the round ball. 570 dia with fifteen thousand will work about as good. You did good and you have one fine rifle. If you look at the lockwork it looks like lymans and has the coil spring instead of the leaf like some of the others

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
If you look at the lockwork it looks like lymans and has the coil spring instead of the leaf like some of the others
Investarms makes guns for Lyman. Basically the same gun. That's a good looking rifle, .58's throw a pretty good sized chunk of lead!

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
The 58 is a beast I have two, one in Flint and one in Percussion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
beast is right ,I have 3 58's one an investarms,One TC hawken NIB from their custom shop and one Early Va flinter with swamped barrel.The 2 I shoot are very deadly killed a large doe last year with the flinter 80yds DRT

·
Registered
22 Posts
You may find this interesting but I read an article by Val Forgett, the founder of Dixie Gun Works about the tremendous killing power of a .58 caliber Hawken rifle. About 20 years ago he went on an African safari using a .58 caliber Hawken rifle loaded with 750 grain conical bullets pushed with somewhere around 200 grains of black powder. This is an extremely powerful load combination and recoil can only be described as ferocious. At first his professional hunter would not let him hunt dangerous game with a muzzle loader as it was thought to be too dangerous. As a test Val asked the PH if he could shoot an 6,000 pound bull hippo to judge the effectiveness of the rifle. After a complete pass through and one very dead hippo the PH was suitably impressed and allowed Val to continue his safari. On that safari Val took elephant, lion, cape buffalo, hippo, crocodile and a giraffe along with several species of plains game. All animals were taken with one shot from that .58 caliber Hawken rifle. Enough said!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Wow. A trip down memory lane. I used to go to rendezvous with my dad when he was alive. We both shot Hawkens then, but both were 50's. Great rifle!

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I have that article Val wrote in a old Black Powder annual, impressive, but! Big and heavy with lots of powder! I bet that kicked like a scart Mule!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You may find this interesting but I read an article by Val Forgett, the founder of Dixie Gun Works about the tremendous killing power of a .58 caliber Hawken rifle. About 20 years ago he went on an African safari using a .58 caliber Hawken rifle loaded with 750 grain conical bullets pushed with somewhere around 200 grains of black powder. This is an extremely powerful load combination and recoil can only be described as ferocious. At first his professional hunter would not let him hunt dangerous game with a muzzle loader as it was thought to be too dangerous. As a test Val asked the PH if he could shoot an 6,000 pound bull hippo to judge the effectiveness of the rifle. After a complete pass through and one very dead hippo the PH was suitably impressed and allowed Val to continue his safari. On that safari Val took elephant, lion, cape buffalo, hippo, crocodile and a giraffe along with several species of plains game. All animals were taken with one shot from that .58 caliber Hawken rifle. Enough said!
I think Val Forgett founded Navy Arms, Turner Kirkland founded Dixie. I keep a Dixie catalog around for the reference material in the back.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
IIRC Val Forgett (Navy Arms) and Turner Kirkland (DGW) made the trip together. The rifle used was a cut down Zouave, Navy arms later marketed it as "the buffalo hunter" They can still be found on various auction sites.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
One of the 58's was a Hawken style rifle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.