Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://flic.kr/p/9ANVU3
I should have probably researched a little more, but I was there, and I bought it. I found a 39AS with a 3-9x40 Simmons scope for $450. It seemed a little high, but I thought well, I'm here, it's in good shape scope or not. I really didn't care about the scope, but I couldn't negotiate taking it off.

They also had a 39A pre-safety for $400. Should I have grabbed the earlier model, in rougher shape? It was well used, obvious pitting, and the bluing was 85%.

Don't know much about these except I've always heard they are tack drivers, and I'm a fan of 22's. The 39AS I grabbed is in nice shape. A few spots on the wood, and a few spots on the metal. Nothing a little scrubbing shouldn't take care of.

EDIT: Forgot to add S/N info. 03121xxx

Sorry about the terrible picture. Cell phone shot...

What do ya think?

Andy

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks to me like you did fine! You bought a $550 rifle with at least a $50 scope for $450. You are just second guessing your purchase as we all do at times. In the furture you will tell about when you got the good deal on your 39AS. It is a 1997.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is a nice looking 39!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance, and thanks for the date info. I wondered what year it was. I look forward to shooting it!

I’ve got Marlinitous. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Can someone tell me what the difference is that makes it an AS? I'm a complete noob about 39's..........I've owned mine for less than a week. ::)

The only difference I can see between yours and mine is the checkering on the grip.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The 39A became the 39AS in 1988 when the Cross-bolt Safety was added (The S=safety). I cannot say when exactly the checkering was added but it was the early 90's. I believe the barrels were marked 39AS for a while then went back to just 39A. Later today, I will try to look up the dates of the changes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stubbfarmer said:
The 39A became the 39AS in 1988 when the Cross-bolt Safety was added (The S=safety). I cannot say when exactly the checkering was added but it was the early 90's. I believe the barrels were marked 39AS for a while then went back to just 39A. Later today, I will try to look up the dates of the changes.
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for all the great info Stubb.

Andy

·
Registered
832 Posts
From what I found in my catalogs, the checkering started in 1994. The 39AS was listed as new in the 1988 catalog with the cross bolt safety and rebound hammer. The rubber butt pad was added in 1990. The 39TDS was never shown with the rubber butt pad in the catalog even though it had it at least a couple of years. They went back to just 39A in the 2001 catalog. In 1988 and 1989 the catalog just says 39AS in the 1990 thru 2008 it is Golden 39AS or Golden 39A then in 2009 and 2010 it goes back to just 39A. Marlin seems to have used old pictures in the catalogs at times. Sometimes for several years. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Weather permitting, I plan to get my new 39A absolutely filthy this week. I feel like a kid again, finally getting to play with a new, long-awaited toy. My birthday is next week, I've decided this is the best present I've ever given myself! 8)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Again PJ, that is a fine looking rifle. Mine will get dirty along with some other .22's this week for sure.

Thanks for the information stubbfarmer. I was never sure what an AS was either.

bjm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
papajohn said:
Weather permitting, I plan to get my new 39A absolutely filthy this week. I feel like a kid again, finally getting to play with a new, long-awaited toy. My birthday is next week, I've decided this is the best present I've ever given myself! 8)
Hope you enjoy your nice looking toy! Happy Birthday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts