Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep,got it at a local gun show.Never had seen one before,thought it was a Savage until I saw the target in the stock. Yeah I know,it's called a bullseye. But still a target to me.I've targeted Marlins for a long time. The octagon barrel and "S" curve pistol grip really stand out.Great little gun. After reading that section of the BROPHY book found other models of pumps I had neglected to pay attention to.Too wrapped up with lever actions.No more, now I have a start in pumps.OH BOY where is the next one??modoc

·
Registered
496 Posts
:D Hehehe. Yes nice rifles. I have it's twin brother the Model 32. Parley

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too have been buying lever actions, but I have always had an eye for the pump guns. So, recently I bought a Remington Model 121 .22 pump. I have my grandfather's Remington Model 12 .22 pump and the 121 is a great match. I would like to find a Marlin Model 38, but I have yet to find one at a show or advertised in any paper. I just know that when I find one, I will be putting the cash down real quick.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Maybe you should start looking for something like this Gutshot...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Andrew-

From what I was able to piece together with help from the guys on the collector's page, it is. Tasco made these scopes in Japan in the early 80's, and the optics are excellent for a 15mm scope. Mine is 18" long and carries the old Ruko importer's name on the eye piece. They came longer as well- There were some pictures up in the gallery of a Remington rolling block with a 28" version of this scope belonging to MM-93. There is a thread called brass tube scopes on the collector's page here that has a bit of detail....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Andrew said:
Doc: Is that one of the Dixie Gun Works tube scopes? How do you like it? ~Andrew

Optically, I like it fine. The coatings are great- no flare or reflection. I could not ask for better than the fine cross-hair reticle it has. I don't think much of the rings or mounting system- a little too much like plumber's fittings for my taste. I would like to get a set of Steven's, or Winchester, Marlin, or Mossberg rings for it- the rings that are with it are very bulky and rough looking. Locking in a zero has been a "learning experience" to say the least, with these rings....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Doc,
My Remington is a Hepburn, not a Roller. Yes, it does have the same scope as your gun, except for the mounts. I reworked my mounts on my mill, and made the windage adjustment over, so it was screw adjustable, instead of set screw. Also trimmed them down, and polished the mounts to make them less bulky, and smoother.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You caught me workin from somewhat rusty memory again, MM-93 :lol:

I was close- but no cigar. Gorgeous wood on the Hepburn, and the treatment the rings got is a huge improvement appearance wise.

Your No. 18 Baby Slide looks very similar to my No. 20. I can't tell from the pix if it has the tang take-down screw or not. Interesting model- they are rarely seen- your pic is about as close as I'm going to get to one. As a fatter of mact, I have only seen one other Marlin pump around these parts- a No. 20 in despicably wretched condition, with a 300 dollar price tag attached.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I had two of these 18's until last month, when a friend talked me out of the octagon barreled one. It was a 50% gun, and I let it go for $225. The other is staying , as I was fortunate to have another friend who let me talk him out of this one. None of the model 18's were takedown. They had a thumbscrew that removed the sideplate, much like the model 1891 and 1892 lever action Marlins. Most people look at that and think they're takedowns, but they weren't.
The model 18 is a pretty scarce item, as it was only built for three years! I believe it was around 1906-1908, but not sure. I'd have to check Brophy to see for certain.
I could easily get into collecting Marlin pumps. I have had a number of them over the years, but kept letting them go, so I wouldn't get "hooked" on them! I still have two model 27S's; one in .25-20, and another in .32-20 that I've managed to keep.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi Vall-

I was referring to the thumbscrew that seperates the buttstock from the tangs- it appears in Brophy's book, and Rifle's of the World by John Walter, as well as a few of my gun value books. I've got a reprint around here somewhere of an old trade ad for the 18 that goes into the compactness of this feature....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
You're sure right Doc! I forgot that an optional knob style tang screw could be ordered to make the buttstock removable. Neither of mine had that feature, and I honestly have not seen any Marlin pumps with it, although Brophy's book shows them, and they were a cataloged item.
I never really considered that as a takedown, although Marlin refered to this as a takedown option. I bet it would cause the wood to get sloppy pretty fast, if taken apart too often!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I got pretty nervous about pulling the buttstock the one time I did it- the grip on my 20 is kinda slender- I was petrified I was going to split it....

Found an old leather suitcase that the 20 will fit into broken down- it's a real oldie with the patent leather flap seperator on the inside. Maybe I can do better than that and put some leatherwork classes I took waaay back when to some good use...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Doc,
You might look at one of the old takedown "leg of mutton" hard leather cases that were made 60+ years ago. I see them at gun shows here evry once in awhile for anywhere from $20-$40, depending on condition.
I use them for my Marlin takedowns, when transporting. I even found one from the 50's that is lightweight steel, painted in a metallic brown. It's funny looking, but sure is good protection, and large enough to handle your scoped pump.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You guys are pissin me off. I got enough guns and accessories on my list that I can't afford without you all wavin stuff like this in front of me.......DAMN IT!!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
oldfart said:
You guys are pissin me off. I got enough guns and accessories on my list that I can't afford without you all wavin stuff like this in front of me.......DAMN IT!!!!
LOL O/F - Like they say, #$&@ happens....

The old rimfires are a serious problem for me- if it's old and just barely shootable, something kicks in and I just gotta have it- I think I'm a gunholic- of the worst sort- being the non-specific gunaholic. There's no hope or known cure once this affliction sets in.... our women folk just throw a few more gun magazines, or gun books at us when the withdrawal stages become too painful for them to watch....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 17 of 17 Posts