Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the lgs today picking up a colt challenger I had on layaway and saw a waffle top 336sc on the shelf. Someone has hand checked the stocks and put a compass in the stock also. Has swivels but the one on the forearm is in the wood. Also has a remington buttplate on it. It is in 35 rem overall the rifle is not in bad shape and is not drilled and tapped he wants 399.00 for it what do you guys think about that price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I agree on passing I have been deer hunting with my 1968 336rc 35rem since the 70's. Saw a add in the paper and bought it still in the box with two boxes of shells for 50.00 those were the days. My buddy called today and he just bought a nice 1951 336sc with old weaver scope for 385 said the guy had a mint 67 336rc for 400. I really want a sc but I also want to put a scope on it. Your right the hunt is half the fun.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Almost sounds like you'd have to go through the trouble of replacing the stocks. Maybe you could offer him $300 if it sits there another month and see what he'll take.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I agree offer less. Them stocks and compass are no real detriment to a shooter truck gun.

The compass can be removed and something a little nice put in it's place. Say a half dollar from your birth year. The hole in the for end should be easy enough to plug without it looking ugly. I have one that had the done to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to keep an eye on it and if it is still there in a month or so I will offer him 300. The Colt 22 I bought from them had been there for 9 months he wouldnt deal at all on it but the pistol was made in 1953 and looks new. I have the state of Michigan covered with a couple buddys looking. I think these old marlins are really going to go up in value in the next few years. I can tell you from experience the 35 rem and 336 make a great deer rifle. I have been reading all my 40's and 50's american rifleman magazines looking at all the old marlin ads.

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
Yes I agree on passing I have been deer hunting with my 1968 336rc 35rem since the 70's. Saw a add in the paper and bought it still in the box with two boxes of shells for 50.00 those were the days. My buddy called today and he just bought a nice 1951 336sc with old weaver scope for 385 said the guy had a mint 67 336rc for 400. I really want a sc but I also want to put a scope on it. Your right the hunt is half the fun.
SC models were made into the early 1960s--factory D&Ted Marlins started production in 1955. You can find the later smooth tops already set up for a scope. They might be hard to find but they do exist so you wouldn't have to drill an old waffle top.

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts
Like some said if you can get the price down to no more than $300.00 buy it. Then you can replace the wood or fix it up and shoot it like Swany said and own it for a fair price.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I found a 35 pre safety on the rack yesterday for $375. I looked it over and the metal had some freckling on most of it. It looked a little worse for wear. I left it there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts