Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gun shop not far from me has got a 1950 336A in 35REM. This would go nicely in my collection. He's asking $329 which seems a little high, but you don't find many "A's" in 35REM. They're always 30-30's. You think that price is a little steep?

G

·
I have all three calibers in the SC version and the 35 was the first I aquired and the 30-30 was last :!: Never know how it works until you start looking :D Say you have plenty "A"'s floating around ? I wuold be intrested in one that was a few years newer. One's that were drilled and tapped at the factory on top. Want one to rebarrel to 7-30 Waters :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would say that a 336A .35 Rem in good shape is easily worth $300-$350, as they are hard to come by. If it's not collector grade, and at that price it's probably not, I see nothing wrong with having it drilled & tapped for scope mounts. However, this will run you an additional $75-$100. I say go for it.

G

·

·
Registered
431 Posts
Depends on condition. Price is fair for an original rifle in nice shape. I paid $275 for mine a few years ago but it has refinished original stocks. Metal is very nice original with sharp ballard rifling so I'm happy. It shoots great with the regular 200 grain WalMart Remington load.

G

·
My 35 was made in 1952 is untapped with original finish (95%) $250,my 32 is 90% has a replaced butt was made in 1951 is untapped and was $325,My 30-30 is about 95% untapped was made also in 1952 and cost $275. Bought the 35 in a gunshop, got the 32 off Guns America ,and the 30-30 came from Gunbroker. These are all SC's.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks 6pt! My .35 is from 1955, so it is factory tapped for a scope, but still has the old Ballard rifling. I have a 6x Redfield Wideview on it now for elk hunting.

G

·
MM93, I take it about 55 was when the factory started drilling and tapping?Last night I saw a "SD" in 35 on www.gunbroker.com #2169680 seriel #T238xx,they have it listed as an SC but it is checkered in what looks to be the correct pattern for the SD :) :!:That ages it at 1960 also has MC stock :) Bid if intrested as I have no plans to do so :?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man, that checkered stock 336 SC on Gunbroker is nice. If I didn't already have a .35 SC, I might have to go for it. I do think nice 336A's are harder to find.

G

·
lossking said:
Man, that checkered stock 336 SC on Gunbroker is nice. If I didn't already have a .35 SC, I might have to go for it. I do think nice 336A's are harder to find.
I don't think that is a SC :!: When they were checkered like that (and I could be wrong) they were SD's which was a higher grade, if you look at page 259 of Brophy's book there is a picture of one . The checkering is correct as are the sling swivels and monte carlo stock . And SD's were made in 1960 as the seriel number indicates :D I truly believe this is the more rare SD :D

G

·
336SD's were made from 1954-1962 :!: This one is missing the original factory sling and it looks like the white spacer that goes under the buttplate. It also has micro-groove rifling :) Two year old Blue Book on that gun in 90% is $400 :!: I had to pay a bit over book for all three of my SC's :?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks 6pt, but I try to stay away from Marlins after WWI, with a few exceptions. I have a few 39a's from early years, and my .35 Rem 336A, but the other 50+ are all pre WWI era.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I called and put a deposit down on the rifle. I couldn't resist. Currently I have a RC 35REM(1968), a RC 30-30(1970), a Marlin 375, and now will have the elusive 336A in 35REM(1950).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found my 336A 35 Rem about a month and a half ago in the UP of Michigan. Didn't have the cash at the time but was able to set a meeting with the dealer when he came downstate for a gun show. :?

It is 24", half length magazine tube which I guess is common for these. There are a two minor stock cracks that I discovered once I got home and a small area of pitting on the barrel where the scope mount extened over it. Guess I had a kind of tunnel vision when I first saw it since I knew it was what I wanted. Since I've had it the "bulls eye" in the butstock has fallen out and is lost.

Mine was bastardized with scope mount holes and came with a Lyman All-American 2.5x scope. I understand this scope is desireable to some collectors but the reticle is too fine to see in low light. Have a Williams FP on order from Midway.

btw... I paid $295 for it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm glad you secured the rifle with a down payment. Some do not mind if the rifle is drilled and tapped. If it comes from the factory that way, fine but no way would I violate a model "A" if it came untapped from the factory.

Just bought a SC from Big Redhhead, about the same configuration with a 20 inch barrel. Dang, don't you just love that look?!

If you see another A chambered for the .35 I need to know about it. I prefer 90% + condition.

SS

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey SS,
This one is not drilled and tapped, which is the way I like it. I would certainly not shy away from one that had been D & T'd, but prefer without. I can't wait to shoot the old girl. All of my lever guns are being neglected these days. Time is becoming a precious commodity :? .

By the way, congrats on that SC. I would like one of them as well. I have grown fond of the partial tubes. They seem to shoot better and I just like the looks of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts