Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the Marlin experts. I found a brand new in the box Marlin JM stamped 308 Marlin express 91 serial number range for 599 .The only one flaw is where the tang goes into the buttstock on the bottem the wood is not flush on one side,other than that its pretty nice .Is this serial number range ok or were there problems ?This rifle didn't have any REP marking's just the JM stamp.Is this a good price for this rifle?This is a blued rifle with walnut stocks.Was thinking about buying it but wasn't sure about the serial number range.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
The Marlin Express rifles with serial numbers in the 91 range had "barrel droop" problems. Some rifles had barrels not properly fitted or aligned to the receiver and would require shims to be placed under the scope mounts to raise the bullet impact area. Many of the rifles with this problem had to be sent back for the factory for repair. Not every 91 serial number Express rifle had this problem--just wanted you to be aware.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up I guess I will pass on it I don't need a problem child.

Reactions: oleroy

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Konnorman and all other MO's,

One of our fellow MO members posted a detailed , with pictures, method for checking barrel droop. I tried his method on a newly acquired 308mx just to make sure that it had no problems and was fortunate to find that my barrel was dead-on. The procedure is not complicated, just take it step by step. Scroll down to post # 9.

Many thanks to Scorpiusb for taking the time to post these very helpful instructions.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/308-338-marlin-express/122695-how-check-barrel-droop.html

Rick

·
Administrator
27,855 Posts
+1 to both Ret_Eng and sawgrass. The serial prefix indicates built in 2009. Take 100-91=09 or 2009. While I do not know the percentages of 91's with barrel droop I do know some have it. If that bothers you then you are safer holding out for a 2008 or 2007. I held out for a 2007 308MX and a 2008 338MX both are their respective debut year. Both are spectacular rifles shooting 1/2 inch MOA. In my case I wanted their debut years but you certainly don't need that for a good one. And there are many good 2009's.

That said, it is a good price and even if it happens to have the dreaded droop Marlin/Remington has improved their customer service replacing the receiver and quick turn around. Something to consider as you may pay a tad more for another different one. And there are a lot of very good 2009 out there. Yet, it is a bit of a gamble so the choice is yours.

Ret_Eng didn't mention his 308MX Remlin that has tagged 4 DRT Deer for him so that is another option. However, you might PM him to ask his proceedure in checking Remlin's out. I'm sure he won't mind as he is a nice guy.

Jack

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I wouldn't cut-off my nose to spite my face friend.

Not all, not by a long shot, 91s suffered from barrel droop. I've got a 91X serial numbered 338 MX that, had I jumped to conclusions, I would have never invested in ... yet, I eventually did and here's what I've got. I've been offered three times what I paid for it since.

Nothing in this thread, as far as I can see, indicates that your unseen rifle in upstate NY automatically suffers from barrel droop and would automatically be assumed to be a problem child JM stamped rifle.

Mine is literally 91XXXXXXX with nothing but zeros ... the epitome of the 91 serial numbered Marlins that supposedly suffer from barrel droop (and I don't know how many times I've read that it was the early run models that suffered the droop ... it doesn't get any earlier in the 91 series run than mine). Those that suffered from barrel droop were few and far between and a very very very small short run of that particular year because the receiver boring machine was knocked-off by a millimeter for one day during production because a bit broke and the operator failed to re-calibrate before starting back up again. Yet the myth has grown to now, where every time this subject is broached it is implied that this was a widespread malady suffered by most of the 91 serial numbered rifles. It was not. For those that experienced it, it was a major deal and they let it be known, I don't blame them .... the squeaky wheels so-to-speak. Yet nine out of ten, if not more, of us have been perfectly happy with our 308/338s after minor timing adjustments, etc.

At any rate, it's your choice, but if you're not going to invest in that rifle perhaps you might note where it is located, what shop, and allow someone here to jump on it - someone that would want it and appreciate it and be happy to have it since you have chosen to not give the rifle a chance.

In the meantime, here's the one I took a chance on and am happy I did ....

·
Administrator
27,855 Posts
I wouldn't cut-off my nose to spite my face friend.

Not all, not by a long shot, 91s suffered from barrel droop. I've got a 91X serial numbered 338 MX that, had I jumped to conclusions, I would have never invested in ... yet, I eventually did and here's what I've got. I've been offered three times what I paid for it since.

Nothing in this thread, as far as I can see, indicates that your unseen rifle in upstate NY automatically suffers from barrel droop and would automatically be assumed to be a problem child JM stamped rifle.

Mine is literally 91XXXXXXX with nothing but zeros ... the epitome of the 91 serial numbered Marlins that supposedly suffer from barrel droop (and I don't know how many times I've read that it was the early run models that suffered the droop ... it doesn't get any earlier in the 91 series run than mine). Those that suffered from barrel droop were few and far between and a very very very small short run of that particular year because the receiver boring machine was knocked-off by a millimeter for one day during production because a bit broke and the operator failed to re-calibrate before starting back up again. Yet the myth has grown to now, where every time this subject is broached it is implied that this was a widespread malady suffered by most of the 91 serial numbered rifles. It was not. For those that experienced it, it was a major deal and they let it be known, I don't blame them .... the squeaky wheels so-to-speak. Yet nine out of ten, if not more, of us have been perfectly happy with our 308/338s after minor timing adjustments, etc.

At any rate, it's your choice, but if you're not going to invest in that rifle perhaps you might note where it is located, what shop, and allow someone here to jump on it - someone that would want it and appreciate it and be happy to have it since you have chosen to not give the rifle a chance.

In the meantime, here's the one I took a chance on and am happy I did ....
GP, very well stated with good valid points. Glad you did as I couldn't recall what happened in 2009 that caused the barrel droop.

I might add that your 338MX is a trophy among 338MX's! Wow, that is some of the best furniture I've laid my eyes on! Spectacular. And I thought my 338MX was nice... look below.

Thanks,
Jack

DSC00147_E35%_2.jpg DSC00148_E35%.jpg DSC00158_E35%.jpg DSC00160_E35%.jpg DSC00154_E35%.jpg

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
That sure is purrrrdy Jack! What kind of Bushnell glass did you go with there?

Yeah, I got lucky with the furniture thanks to Bob Tinari when he was still in the old factory. I owe him and one of these days I am going to meet him face to face and buy him all the beer he can drink. I think mine may have been the last one the man touched before closing the doors behind him and locking the doors at the old factory in Connecticut.

I've sort of let the cat out of the bag so no harm done I suppose ... those last two are zeros I blurred to try to confuse people, or at least make them guess from 01-99.

·
Administrator
27,855 Posts

Yeah, I got lucky with the furniture thanks to Bob Tinari when he was still in the old factory. I owe him and one of these days I am going to meet him face to face and buy him all the beer he can drink. I think mine may have been the last one the man touched before closing the doors behind him and locking the doors at the old factory in Connecticut.

I've sort of let the cat out of the bag so no harm done I suppose ... those last two are zeros I blurred to try to confuse people, or at least make them guess from 01-99.
Thanks GP, I'm pretty fortunate with the furniture but your furniture causes drool. HA! Hey, what you conveyed earlier is good to know and maybe it will quell the rumor mill on 2009's.

The Bushnell Banner 3-9X40MM came on the rifle and honestly, while it is a good scope I'm not a fan of 40MM objectives on Marlins. I will sell this Bushnell and Leupold mount and rings soon enough and might go with another Redfield Revolution Accurange 2-7X33MM like I put on my 308MX, it is an impressive scope for the money and I love the accurange rectile. It has just the right profile too. With Weavor 63B mount and 1 inch rings it slams it to the barrel and I recently shot a group for 0.5625 at 100YDS. This rifle has a trigger to die for and my 338MX is very close but not quite as sweet of a pull as the 308MX.

Below are some pic's of my 308MX.

Jack

DSC00101_E35%_2.jpg DSC00113_E35%_2.jpg DSC00117_E35%_2.jpg DSC00111_E35%_2.jpg DSC00124_E35%_2.jpg

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
Konnorman, I wouldn't pass on it unless it "DID" have the barrel droop which is easy to check for per the posted instructions & at $599.00, that is a good price for one. The 308MX is a very fine firearm & I know cause I have one Ser#91010xx. Mine is scary accurate with the Hornady LE's & my pet reloads. Just check it out good, & if everythings ok, Go For It.

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts

Hey Gallo--were you the one that got the REAL NICE furniture and a special note in the box for your 338MX? I recall someone posting that story--it was kind of a special "goodbye" from some of the Marlin employees at the old CT plant. If so--what a great Marlin to posses. You are very lucky!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Hey Gallo--were you the one that got the REAL NICE furniture and a special note in the box for your 338MX? I recall someone posting that story--it was kind of a special "goodbye" from some of the Marlin employees at the old CT plant. If so--what a great Marlin to posses. You are very lucky!
Yessir ... that was me. The last one out of the old door I think, a special gift from Bob Tinari although someone here, I cannot remember who, posted that they squeezed in one behind me after we communicated through PMs because I had thanked him for sharing the double-top-secret password and contact info for getting in touch with Bob through the forum before the plant closed - and it was literally in the final days before closing. I wanna say it was quietman ... Sam, if you are reading this it was you, right? You got one in within a day or so and Bob was still there right? Ret_Eng, so I think Bob actually turned-out the lights, literally, after taking care of Sam if I remember correctly - it's been a few years and the older I get the more I forget.

I got lucky thanks to Sam and Bob, let me put it that way. And yep, Bob put a note in my box and later sent me an email. Later, we talked a long time on the phone too ... super nice guy. I've had a hard time forgiving Freedom Group, Remington, for what they did to Bob and his friends up there at the old plant. I've never understood it and probably never will.

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
That is a GREAT story--and gets me mad at the Freedom Group all over again! :vollkommenauf:

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
I just realized Gallo--how different our avatars are! I spent 20 years in the Army being either in mechanized Field Artillery or a straight leg Engineer--you did the Hooah stuff with the 82nd. Talk about direct opposites!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the information from everbody.I'am going back in the morning to give it another check.There is no way this place will lett me do the barrel droop test but they do cover everything and will send it back free of charge if there is problems.The trigger was super good a pretty nice rifle.If they still have it and I pass on it I will post where it is so you guys will have a shot at it.

·
Administrator
27,855 Posts
Yessir ... that was me. The last one out of the old door I think, a special gift from Bob Tinari although someone here, I cannot remember who, posted that they squeezed in one behind me after we communicated through PMs because I had thanked him for sharing the double-top-secret password and contact info for getting in touch with Bob through the forum before the plant closed - and it was literally in the final days before closing. I wanna say it was quietman ... Sam, if you are reading this it was you, right? You got one in within a day or so and Bob was still there right? Ret_Eng, so I think Bob actually turned-out the lights, literally, after taking care of Sam if I remember correctly - it's been a few years and the older I get the more I forget.

I got lucky thanks to Sam and Bob, let me put it that way. And yep, Bob put a note in my box and later sent me an email. Later, we talked a long time on the phone too ... super nice guy. I've had a hard time forgiving Freedom Group, Remington, for what they did to Bob and his friends up there at the old plant. I've never understood it and probably never will.
That is a great story GP. I will never forgive Freedom Group, ever. I have somewhat differing regards to Remington as they suffer under Freedom Groups umbrella. I think more pointedly it's that both Remington and Marlin suffer the F.G. board members ill advised directives how they need to run their manufacturing companies. I know for certain both are a far cry from the manufacturing days of their hay day times.

Thanks for sharing that story, I enjoyed it.

Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
308mx

I bought a NIB 91xxxx 308mx last year. Before buying, called Marlin, CS was great about acknowledging there were some problems and gave me enough confidence that they would take care of me I went back to the store.

Asked store worker how long it had been on the shelf, cause it appeared to be years! He confirmed it had sat there since he got hired. I made low ball offer and they took it.

Now I have a non droop 91xx 308 that has 3lb trigger and shoots sub moa, all for less than a decent used 336 3030!

If priced fair, buy it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hey Gallo, looks like you finally broke down and polished the finish. Results are spectacular.

Konnorman. If the gun is at a local shop, print the instructions on checking for the droop and ask them if they'll check why you observe. Tell them if it passes you'll buy it, but w/o the check there will definitely be no sale.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a decent price for that rifle!!!! Definitely a Connecticut made rifle!!!

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
Very nice wood, fir and finish. You got lucky. It looks like the quality some of the JM "deluxe" editions. Maybe you got one made on a Monday morning
I wouldn't cut-off my nose to spite my face friend. Not all, not by a long shot, 91s suffered from barrel droop. I've got a 91X serial numbered 338 MX that, had I jumped to conclusions, I would have never invested in ... yet, I eventually did and here's what I've got. I've been offered three times what I paid for it since. Nothing in this thread, as far as I can see, indicates that your unseen rifle in upstate NY automatically suffers from barrel droop and would automatically be assumed to be a problem child JM stamped rifle. Mine is literally 91XXXXXXX with nothing but zeros ... the epitome of the 91 serial numbered Marlins that supposedly suffer from barrel droop (and I don't know how many times I've read that it was the early run models that suffered the droop ... it doesn't get any earlier in the 91 series run than mine). Those that suffered from barrel droop were few and far between and a very very very small short run of that particular year because the receiver boring machine was knocked-off by a millimeter for one day during production because a bit broke and the operator failed to re-calibrate before starting back up again. Yet the myth has grown to now, where every time this subject is broached it is implied that this was a widespread malady suffered by most of the 91 serial numbered rifles. It was not. For those that experienced it, it was a major deal and they let it be known, I don't blame them .... the squeaky wheels so-to-speak. Yet nine out of ten, if not more, of us have been perfectly happy with our 308/338s after minor timing adjustments, etc. At any rate, it's your choice, but if you're not going to invest in that rifle perhaps you might note where it is located, what shop, and allow someone here to jump on it - someone that would want it and appreciate it and be happy to have it since you have chosen to not give the rifle a chance. In the meantime, here's the one I took a chance on and am happy I did ....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts