Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 1893 marlin chambered for 32 special. It has a round 20 inch barrel and may not have an original buttstock since it has the "Marlin bullseye" inset in the heel. The buttstock also has a black plastic butt plate rather than a curved metal one. I picked it up after the gunshop owner dropped the price to $395. I'm not a collector but just wanted a 93 to shoot. The metal is in good shape with no pitting on the barrel and quite a bit of the bluing intact. The receiver looks like it was case hardened but the finish has faded to a fairly uniform grayish color. There is a little surface rust on the top but otherwise the metal is smooth and clear.
I've got two questions for all the marlin experts hanging out here:
When was this rifle made? (Serial number on bottom tang is 44##C)
Is this a decent value for the price I paid?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
There were 1893's and '93 Marlins that show up with the bullseye in the buttstock, so it might be OK. Pull the stock off and look at the wood under the top tang inletting. There's a serial number there, and you can see if it matches. I'd say any 1893 or '93 that's complete and shootable is a bargain at under $400, so you did well.
Would need the rollstamp info exactly as it's stamped on the barrel to be more sure of a date. And let us know if the stock serial number matches also, as that will help determine the era. Pretty sure it will be post WWI, but if the bullseye stock is correct, it's probably mid 1920's, or later.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It sounds like a sporting carbine, with the rubber butt plate, made n the 20s. In the condition you describe, that would be a good price. Try to post some photos!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Don't forget to post a picture of the buttplate too!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Balhincher; First off an exact DOM is for the most part impossible but one can possibly
come up with a good guess?
First off is the tang marked Model 1893 in two lines or Marlin Model 93 in two lines
Where is the serial number located
As mentioned earlier what is the barrel address
Is there a star marked on the upper tang
Is it a Rifle or Carbine
Length of magazine tube
Is the barrel marked 32 H.P.S. or 32 Special
Is there two factory holes on the top of the receiver
The Marlin Bulls-Eye is quite common on the Model 93's somewhere around 1923\
Pictures are of great help but these questions will determine a guess at DOM

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
Is it possible it may even be a Model 1936:questionmark:which looks like an 1893. With everything mentioned and the serial on the lower tang....It's just a thought.

Did we say we need pictures!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
15,349 Posts
congrats on the new rifle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I read all the helpful comments above, I checked more closely the details of my "new" rifle. First off, I guess it is a model 93 not 1893 since that is what is stamped on the tang. I will try and post some photos to show the details everyone mentioned as being important in dating the rifle. I have had no luck in past attempts at posting photos so if it doesn't work I'll provide as detailed a description as possible. IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2699.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_2692.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2703.JPG More views of the 93's detail. Note the tang screw in the top and bottom tang. The top of the screw is pretty far below the surface of the tang and it protrudes a little from the bottom. Looking closely at the x-section of the screw it looks like it may have been sawed off at some time to make it almost flush. I wonder if this is the correct tang screw or a replacement that doesn't quite fit this 93. See above photos for a close view of the tang screw removed.
I attempted to remove the buttstock and check the serial number but found that after removing the tang screw there appeared to be two more fasteners holding it in place. The view of the bottom tang shows these two screws (or whatever they are). My model 36 does not have these two screws and after removing the tang screw the stock slides off that rifle. I couldn't figure out how they are removed so figured I'd just post the question here.
Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. I really enjoy reading all the information about Marlin guns.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
those screws have nothing to do with removing the butt stock. I would likely tap the buttstock with the butt of your closed fist it's probably just snug from being on there so long. maybe wiggle it back and forth gently a few times it will come off. Once you pull the buttstock off you will see one of those screws is for the hammer spring and off the top of my head I can't remember what the other is for,but it does not hold the buttstock on.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
By the way nice rifle. It looks to be a carbine model that has been modified slightly. It seems someone removed the front barrel band and short in the mag tube.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
Judging from how close the rear sight sets to the receiver I would definitely say it's a carbine barrel. Is there a groove or dovetail on the underside of the muzzle that gives away the modification where the front barrel band was? What is the barrel length from the muzzle to the bolt face?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Balhincher: You do have a sporting carbine as CJ indicated
The Corporation marked barrel would indicate after 1921
The Bulls-Eye would extend that maybe a little latter around 1923
I have several Model 93s in my data base with a C suffix to the serial
number with a low of 4256C and 5323C for a high'
The Sporting Carbine I believe was cataloged first in 1923
I am afraid the rear sight is not original and the front sight looks modified
but I cant really tell from the pictures.
The screws are a little buggered but not a big deal there Larry Osborn can
take care of that if you decide to.
Be very careful trying to remove the stock. Make sure and pull strait back
with as little movement sideways as possible. That is how those chips around
the tang come from. I wouldn't say the SC are rare but I would say less common
I would guess a DOM around the mid 20s enjoy it not a bad looking gun for the
money

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Oh man... Another one makes the list of I want... And a good chance of it making to the I need list!!! Congrats on that!! Hope she's a shooter too!!!

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
It has not been modified, it is a model 93CS sporting carbine
Thanks CJ. This is a new one to me. When I saw the barrel band and how close the rear sight was to the receiver it threw me for a loop! Also the front sight..can't really tell looked modified so I thought it was a molested carbine 20" barrel... unless of course there is a groove under the barrel for the front barrel band pin.:biggrin:

Balhincher my apologies for the incorrect information. Looks like you have a winner there!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts