Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was walking through an older, small gun shop and ran across a Marlin levergun that looked like it had been parkerized. I looked it over and it was VERY nice, like it had recently been done. Had a fiberoptic front site with the hood opened up. Then I noticed it was 35 Remington. I got excited (even though I already have a '76 or '77 model) Then I noticed it was a 336 RC. So I checked the serial # T 89xx. I believe that is a 1950 model. They want $300. The problem is it is a consignment gun. I offered $250 but the guy indicated that wouldn't get it. Now What? It's not like I need anothe 35, and I've got a couple of 30-30's, and a couple of 45/70's. And it's not like it's original. But it's so clean. I am tight on money from all the other good deals I've run into lately, just not sure what to do. Bear Paw Jack

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
For the money I dont think you are gonna get hurt. Sounds like a neat gun. GOOOOOO BAAAACK AAAAND GEEEEET IIIIIIT :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Bear Paw,
According to info published here, the Serial number with a "T" prefix is a 1960 model year. Based on that, if I wanted a "shooter" then I would surely consider the purchase but if I was going to buy it as an investment and let it sit, then I would not purchase at this time.

I visited a local gun show yesterday and saw a 336RC, 1950 model with a "G" prefix for sale at $300. It was in decent condition but I did not buy it. It was probably one of the better deals that I saw though. There were very few Marlin levers of any caliber for sale. Lots of other "junk" at greatly inflated prices. It was scarey when some of the people selling didn't even know the Marlin dates of manufacture. I carried the print-out with me as a reference. One seller had never heard of it listed that way. I kinda thought that he probably fell off the back of a "turnip truck" day before yesterday maybe. There was very little buying going on and a lot of comments being made about the ridiculous overpriced items. I saw many items that could be purchased brand new at prices much less than some sellers had on used guns etc. Overall the gunshow was depressing.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
BPJ,

To echo both Eagle Eye and Big Med, if you want a shooter this would make a good one. Being a "T" it is made in 1960, as EE444 said and would be drilled and tapped for a scope, thus additional flexibility.

If you are a collector you want to avoid this rifle because it will go no where in value. I suspect the dealer, who may not know much about Marlins, bought it and paid too much because of its rugged appearence and now has to stick with a higher price.

SS

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had a mint (and I mean factory mint) 336RC in 35Rem. I got it for $150 at an online auction about a year ago.
After going through my numerous Marlins, I put it back out to online auction about 4 months ago and it brought $375.
I hope this gives you an indication to its worth.
If that gun is mint, it is fair at their asking. If it is used and apparently so, then hold at your offer. Nobody with brains will overpay.
Ranger

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
any time I pay anything I overpay :( 8) :lol: :roll: Shootrj2003

1 - 10 of 10 Posts