Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 rifles today sitting side by side at my LGS. They are both 30-30's.

One is a Glenfield Mod 30. Ser # 69 XXXXX. It has the cheaper stock, but is kind of unique with the pressed engraving of a deer in the stock. It has minor freckling on the right side and some rust on the left. I really like the short mag, the fore end cap rather than the ring, and the dovetailed frt sight. If I was to get it I would consider shortening the barrel and re-doing the stock leaving the embossed area alone and just refinishing the rest of the wood. It appears to have MG rifling, although it is not stamped so on the barrel. It is priced at $389.95.

The other is a Model 336 Ser# 69 XXXXX with the walnut stock, bullseye, plastic grip cap, and plastic butt plate with white spacers. It is in slightly better shape than the Model 30 Glenfield, but is not as rare I don't think. It is priced at $429.95.

They both have bright bores and seem to be in very good working shape. the trigger on the 336 is very smooth and crisp. The model 30 trigger is nice but not quite as smooth as the 336.

I have a 336W in 30-30 and it is a nice gun, but is the economy version, so I have been wanting to maybe upgrade that to something a little nicer or one with a different arrangement. I only really wanted to own one 30-30.

So today I found one nicer and one different.
Now which one would you buy?

IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1022.JPG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personally I would go for the Glenfield. I like my Model 60 with the squirrel stock, and would love to have a 30 with the deer/elk stock.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The 336 would be my choice. Glenfields are ALWAYS going for a lot less money than a standard 336 Marlin.

Mike T.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone give me a quick year of manufacture on ser#'s beginning with 69? Oh and if the Mod 30 Glenfield is at all rare I would definitely leave it alone, just thought how it would make a great shortie with that short mag tube and light weight stock (I immediately noticed it weighed less than the 336 and I don't think it could just be the shorter mag tube.)

·
Super Moderator
25,174 Posts
I like the Glenfield end cap models better than the standard carbines. All my end cap Marlins are way more accurate than the two banded carbines. Serial number 69=1969 year of manufacture.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I've got the same delima. Looking at a Glenfield and a 336W and wondering which way to go. Wondering if there is any collectability of the Glenfields.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
1969 I would opt for the 336 also. I like full length mag tubes and Walnut.

·
Banned
457 Posts
walnut stocks have better value IMO

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Spent my time checking out the Glenfield stock, found it interesting, unique, like to own it. Also much prefer, the short magazine style.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Hard choice for me... I like the forearm with the cap, but I like walnut too. I do know this though; if neither one told me to buy it, my search would continue.

-Bob

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did say they both had bright bores, but I failed to mention the crowns both of which looked very good. Actually the Glenfield appeared to have virtually no wear inside the receiver. It just had a couple of scrapes on the stock and some freckling and rust on the receiver. The 336 looked a little more used inside the receiver. My guess is the Glenfield had been shot very little, but was not treated quite as well as the 336.
If I could dream a little I would trade my 336W even for the 336 and then buy the Glenfield for $300.................but I know this dealer and that "aint a'goin to happen".

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My Glenfield 30 is my most used .30-30, but rust turns me off, big time. The 1969 336 would be my choice.

Reactions: OIF2 and BuffaloBob

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I say pick the 30.....no the 336.....no the 30....... the 336......the 30.....the 336..?? oh heck :vollkommenauf:

Seriously grab the one that speaks to you.Either one would make a great gun with a little TLC.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"pick the 30.....no the 336.....no the 30....... the 336......the 30.....the 336..?? oh heck "
My sentiments exactly!

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
I like the short mag and the cap on the forestock. True that the Walnut stock on the Marlin brings more money than the Glenfield with the birch but he will be paying more for the Marlin. Go with your gut feelings. The Glenfield is not rare but it is easy to refinish leaving the Deer head alone. I have both but love my Glenfield.

110.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
My Glenfield 30 is my most used .30-30, but rust turns me off, big time. The 1969 336 would be my choice.
At those price points I agree. If the Glenfield was $250, (due to rust) it would be my choice.
My Glenfield Model 30 was $300 to my door. Blue is 98-99% Wood 90% due to a chip missing from the butt stock at the tang.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's a tough one, the 30 is a perfect candidate for "shorterizing", but a 60's 336 is a must have for any Marlin collection.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts