Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my side mount peep for my CP came in over the weekend, and I got to put it on last night. First thing i will mention is that Williams says on their site that the FP336, when mounted on an 1894, will need a hammer extension due to the way it mounts (scope mount holes since the newer rifles dont have side holes). ok no problem... unless you have a saddle ring safety delete...

well i do, and they interfere with each other. so i went to the forward scope mounting holes, putting the sight almost to the center of the reciever. it looks odd... but i wonder if anyone else has done this. i may end up going with a standard safety delete or even a different peep... why did Marlin have to ruin a good thing and take those holes off the side of the recievers...

ugh...

XFZtC3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The top mount model does pose a bit of a problem for the short action models. Your cure is a simple one but a compromise reducing the sight radius. It's not too tough or expensive to have the side holes D&T but sure wish they still did it from the factory. I suppose they dropped it because of the growth in popularity of scopes and since they were already drilling those holes..... Cheaper for somebody if they quit drilling two more holes.

My 1895Cb could use two holes on the side of the receiver. I'd like to mount a Lyman 66 for use when I don't need the MVA. The top mount Williams' base gets in the way of the super low front sight I use.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about having it D&T'd but given the fact it's a CP, i dont really want to mess with it unless it is something thats reversible.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you go back in the archives and do a search for Tomray you will find a post where he explained what happened. Since he worked there at the time, I believe his account is true. I use Skinner's on mine and they use the scope base holes.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have one of the newer guns and mounted a peep in the rear scope mount holes. My only issue is that the front sight is not high enough for the loads I am shooting. I have the hammer extension and prefer it to a straight hammer just for a better grip, especially when lowering the hammer. I always engage the safety when loading or unloading, but just in case I forget....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts