Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked some but didn't see one. My thought is after reading that Hornady is suspending making some Ammo this year that we need one main place where we post on the availability of ammo whether it be reloading supplies or factory ammo. I think a separate Forum in the Ammunition section would be a good place to stick it, it has to be somewhere that would get a lot of traffic. Even though Hornady and other manufacturers may be suspending some ammo you gotta know there's still a lot of it out there in smaller local gun shops and places where certain ammo just may not be as popular as in some other places. A Forum of this kind could would allow us to post about ammo supplies we find online or at the LGS. Then members could PM each other and if we wanted we could help each other get ammo from LGS that may not be local to us. People could also post about ammo they're looking for and we can help each other out. What do you guys think, does it already exist and I can't find it? I would think it would be very nice to have a Forum that focuses solely on helping each other find the ammo we need whether it be reloading supplies or factory ammo. I'll let the mods decide on a name but something like Ammo Supply, Ammo Supply and Demand, Ammo Find or Ammo Search should work!

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I like the idea myself.
I'm in Arizona, and have a couple of good, well stocked local stores with plenty of stock, and most all of them have their own websites..
and a few with some really obscure ammo/supplies for reloading, and brass of odd calibers..

and of course, I have tracked down some decent websites that have good deals from time to time on the same items, I guess they're not as well traveled sites, but they have the things I've been looking for.

The only reason I don't want to say their names, or post links is that I don't want to step on the toes of any of the paid sponsors/advertisers of this site, or break the rules.

if theres a way to pull this off, I would be open to it.

Reactions: 69Viking

·
Banned
65 Posts
I like there is none to be hade idea. I've been searching for 35 rem ammo all over Anderson, sc. and there is none to be had. 35 Whelen is available as is some other less popular ammo. Some guys tell me there is 35 rem all over the place in Va but no 35 Whelen. A forum as you suggest would at least give a clue where to find the things that make your gun go bang.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Bob , there is plenty in Rock Hill, but you can only buy one box/per caliber per day at this particular gun shop. So I stop in almost daily and pick up a box to feed my new to me 35Rem. Sometimes I drag the wife along so I can get 2! :biggrin:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would be a great place for us all to help each other out with finding factory ammo and reloading supplies. It would make it better having one place to go for this information instead of having to track it down in multiple different forums.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I think a heads up forum would not be a bad idea at all.
But would it not be limited on time frames as ammo comes in and out of shortages with every election.
Would be great for the next year and then we would not really use it for everyday until 2016.
Then we might run into problems with shady people using it to further their own interests.
Maybe the Admin and mods would be able to hook us up on this unless they know why not to do it?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a heads up forum would not be a bad idea at all.
But would it not be limited on time frames as ammo comes in and out of shortages with every election.
Would be great for the next year and then we would not really use it for everyday until 2016.
Then we might run into problems with shady people using it to further their own interests.
Maybe the Admin and mods would be able to hook us up on this unless they know why not to do it?
There have been at least some shortages of ammo for a few years now. With the way things are going in politics and states enacting laws that impede on our 2nd Amendment rights I don't see shortages in ammo going away anytime soon. I'm currently out of 308 Marlin Express and it hasn't been in stock the last 5 or 6 times I was in a gun store and asked. A Forum like this would also be a good place to alert people of ammo availability online too.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Bob , there is plenty in Rock Hill, but you can only buy one box/per caliber per day at this particular gun shop. So I stop in almost daily and pick up a box to feed my new to me 35Rem. Sometimes I drag the wife along so I can get 2! :biggrin:
Dang ... I know all the places in Rock Hill too! I'll be up that way next week, I am going to hit them all looking for 35 Rem and whatever else they have up there. May bring my face changing disguises so I can go back in and out of the places. Must hoard more ammo! ;) Wife thing is a good idea mazer!

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Lots of good input so far..
Idea...
everyone knows full well that everything is, and can be hit or miss on stock, and to keep the possibilities of people trying to get a little free advertisement for their own businesses to a minimum.

what if we could post maybe a few (like 2-3 minimum, maybe a max of 5) links, or business names that we know of that we have found to have some of the things people are looking for...

make it like a "I found a place to get "XYZ" at _______". but make it a "post what you found", but NOT A "post what you're looking for" place.
so it basically becomes a mini library of different places to look for what they want, and a place to call.
This way, it might not become an out of control thread of Where can I find "XYZ".

I have a few of my regular haunts that I frequent in my area, and a few places that I get bulk stuff from the web for reloading.
especially Reloading brass in hard to find calibers. most of these places are within driving distance from me, and I don't like having to pay shipping for things that I can drive to to pick up, and I like to support my local stores first. but I know they all have websites, and they ship..

who knows.. I know there's alot of logistics on something like this, and definately don't want to step on any paying/supporting vendors toes,
but hey.. I still like the idea.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts