Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post on MO with a link to another forum where this person forms his 35 rem brass from the 308 win. He uses a 44 mag. to resize the 308w. brass body from to .470" to .457".... But he has to file the bulge at the bottom so it will fit into the 35R.chamber. Obviously the 44 mag. die can't work beyond the shell holder. This made my think :hmmmm: Ok Lee precision offers a bullet sizing die of .457" using this die it maybe possible to run the 308W. cases through and not have to file. Then just run them through a 35R. a full sizing die trim and you can have an endless supply of 35R. brass.
Just a thought.
T:biggrin: NY

Reactions: gunscrewguy

· Super Moderator
12,754 Posts
This is what I read when thinking about a 35. It's from CastBoolits

My procedure:

Step 1:

I installed an RCBS carbide .44 magnum sizer in my Rockchucker, set down to bump the shell-holder firmly. Run the LUBED .308 cases through this die,
which will leave a narrow "belt" at the front of the extractor groove, and also may shear off a microscopically-thin ring of brass. Considerable effort on the handle will be needed. This is why we build our benches SOLIDLY.

Step 2:

Run the swaged-down cases into a .30 carbine mouth-expander die (or a Lee "Universal expander die") to flare the mouth large enough to accept the expander ball in the .35 Remington sizer die. The flared part will be trimmed-off, so don't be shy about putting a good big flare on the mouth.

Step 3:

Size all the cases to the max in the .35 Remington sizer. Again, adjust so that the shell-holder has a good "bump" against the die.

Step 4:

Trim the cases to proper .35 Remington length. My standard Forster trimmer with a Makita 3/8" drill adapted for power drive made VERY short work of this, as little as two or three seconds per case, but I'd HATE to do it with the original hand-crank on the trimmer. Deburr the brass after trimming, and we're ready for the last step.

Step 5:

Using a sharp, clean, fine-cut flat file, and chucking the case in the Unimat (a drill press would work fine, too, or a good 1/2" drill mounted in a vise) I make about 20 file strokes across the case-head and rim areas, removing the "belt" thrown-up by the .44 die in Step 1. Some experimentation will be necessary with YOUR setup to determine how much filing is needed. Once that routine is established, you can also consider polishing the filed area for appearance's sake as a final step. Keep the file CLEAN, with a fine wire brush or other method. The teeth will load-up with brass cuttings, and I find it best to clean the file after using it on each case.

An important quality-control check is accomplished by keeping the rifle itself close by the filing location, and checking each case for fit in the chamber as it 's completed. If it doesn't fit VERY easily, I put it back in the machine for a bit more filing. concentrating on the rim diameter and the web zone ahead of the extractor groove. If the case is still too snug, I toss it. No point in excessive fiddling with a single round.

At no point do I attempt to measure anything, except the trim-to length in the trimmer.

All of the above may seem time-consuming and pointless. Not so. The time involved for each case is less than two minutes total, by my timing. To get usable .35 Remingtons for NOTHING except maybe 40 minutes spent per box of 20 is a great boon, in my eye. .308 cases are everywhere, but .35s....?? I have time; it's a hobby, after all. Ammohead, Buckshot, NVCurmudgeon and 9.3x62AL can all attest to the fact that the former .308s work well in the Marlin 336.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
Tony,

I'd want a really heavy duty press mounted to a REALLY solid bench for that one. I had a Model 141 for a while, and the chamber was pretty worn and/or sloppy. I worked pretty hard getting swollen .35 Remington brass through my RCBS die with a Jr press. .308 brass is gonna' be one hard squeeze.

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah bubbajon that's what i read too. I just thought it would do away with the filing step. But to make things go smoother perhaps take the 308 rim down to .460" and then run up the lee .457" bullet sizer.

TMan51 Have a strong bench and a RCBS Rock Chucker.

Salmoneye Did you shoot the reformed 308W. to 35R. and how did it go?
T:hmmmm: NY

Reactions: gunscrewguy

· Premium Member
6,325 Posts
My 35Rem is ok with the 308 rim size, just doesn't care for the body size. Maybe you sizing with the Lee bullet sizer is a good thought. I'll have to ponder that one. Though I do have all the 35R brass I could want. Two candy jars full after I gave a bunch to Gunrunner.

Jeff

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweetwater
I didn't the 308w case rim would be a problem for the bolt. But may not go into the chamber being the 35r. head space at the shoulder and the rim goes into chamber, its not ream for a case with a rim of.473. The newly formed 35R. with a .473" rim would become now a rimed case. The 308W. rim being.473" and the 35r. is.460" the 308W. rim might hag up at the mouth of the chamber. I know this is not a problem when a 35R rifle is re- chambered to a 35R./358W. the reason being obvious. But the reverse making the 308w to fit the 35R chamber the .473" might be a problem.
T:hmmmm: NY.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Salmoneye Did you shoot the reformed 308W. to 35R. and how did it go?
Nope...

I read it and had to try it, but never went past chucking it in the drill press...Not even sure where that case is now...

It would be my last ditch effort if I ran out of brass...

I aint out yet...

:biggrin:

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope...

I read it and had to try it, but never went past chucking it in the drill press...Not even sure where that case is now...

It would be my last ditch effort if I ran out of brass...

I aint out yet...

:biggrin:
Yeah I know that you mean. I too when through my 35R. brass stock/stash and I have 6 unopened bags of 50ct. and another 300 or so of 1 to 2 x fired unloaded 35R. brass too. But I am always thinking about a way of getting out from behind the 8 ball so I won't be limited. I hope I won't ever have to reform 308w. to 35r. brass but it is something to be accomplish to know that you can.

A winter project to be sure.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
TMan51 Have a strong bench and a RCBS Rock Chucker./QUOTE]

Big difference.

Much as I've been pleased with my ancient Jr, as amortized, it cost about $1/yr, even girlyman case forming, like Whelen from '06, takes some effort. The Rock Chucker was pumped for case forming early on, and it does.

Fortunately I have a pile of .35 Remington brass. I have a bit of pickup brass from the days when lever guys usually left it on the ground, and when the "O" was elected, I immidiately ordered 200rds of .30-30 and .35 Remington from Midway. It lasts a long time. But the .308 idea isn't bad looking at supplies these days (years).

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TMan51 I have fore years re-neck 308 Win. cases to form 358 win. cases when 358 win. looked like it was sinking into Obsolescence . But these days the 358 win. has made a mild come back. At this time there isn't a rifle being made in 35r. and no MFG. is even thinking to chamber a rifle in this cartridge. If this doesn't change the 35R will go the way of the Win. 32spl.... But only for the owners of the 32spl. there is plentiful supply of 30 30 brass. ..

I called RCBS and told the tech person I have a 358 win. die set but wanted to neck up 308 w. cases. He sent me no charge a replacement neck expander that all I had to do was run 308w. cases up the 358W full sizing die and done.

T:biggrin: NY

· Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,991 Posts
WHY!? After the case is swaged down and you 'file to fit' you have removed metal from the most critical area of the case. I don't know about y'all, but I'm kinda' attached to my face, eyes, arms and hands. It does not sound like it's worth all the work and the risk.

Now, if we were living in a Mad Max Like scenario scenario it might be a different story. AC

· Super Moderator
5,593 Posts
"At this time there isn't a rifle being made in 35r. and no MFG. is even thinking to chamber a rifle in this cartridge."

I just looked at the current Marlin website. They still list the 336 in 35 Remington. Any number of custom shops will chamber rifle or pistol length Contender barrels to 35 Remington, a whole lot of old 35 Remingtons in pump, lever, bolt, and automatic exist, and this situation is much the same as it was five, ten or even 20 years ago. There are far, far more 35 Remingtons than rifles that were made in 32 Winchester Special.

Don't proclaim the old girl dead just yet. Little has changed to warrant that suggestion. 35 Remington brass has been "seasonal run" for many years. Attempting to find ammo during this current panic isn't helping as manufacturers are devoting production to higher selling calibers to service as many as possible first before they make new runs of lower volume ammo.

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
WHY!? After the case is swaged down and you 'file to fit' you have removed metal from the most critical area of the case. I don't know about y'all, but I'm kinda' attached to my face, eyes, arms and hands. It does not sound like it's worth all the work and the risk.

Now, if we were living in a Mad Max Like scenario scenario it might be a different story. AC
I haven't formed one yet but i do understand your reasoning. This why I think its better to use a Lee bullet sizing die because the whole case gets pushed up through the .457" die. The filing of the rim from .473" to .460" wouldn't affect the strength of the case.

But when a 44 mag full sizing die is used the die stops at the shell holder where it leaves a the case to remain the original .473". This part of the case is call the wad area of the case which is the thickest part of the case. To file this area from .473" to .457" you must file off .008"all around this area. Would this filing of .008" dangerous, no doubt better left alone. this is why I say use a Lee bullet sizer "NO FILING NEEDED" on the wad area.

· Super Moderator
5,593 Posts
308, the word you are looking for is "web."

The solid web is pictured below and is outlined in red, with the actual thickness of the web in this case being 0.080" and not the .80" on the picture.

Whether the case is weakened or not depends upon the case head support present and just how much metal is removed.......and how the basic brass compares in terms of dimensions from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most if not all rifles are dimensioned so the case wall section above the web is entirely within the chamber when the round is fully seated against its headspacing surface.

Thinning the case slightly over the web may reduce the angular dimension of brass thickness from the corner of the bottom of the case to the corner of the web, but the 35 Remington operates at nearly 30,000 psi less than the .308 to begin with. And thickness isn't the criteria alone, but in the amount of hardness of the brass itself.

It would be illuminating to compare the cases so modified to factory 35 Remington brass after each has been cross sectioned as pictured in the photo.

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
35remington Marlin lists the 35 Rem. but none are being manufactured and at this time no other mfg is offering one. I'm not talking about T/C barrels or custom firearms. I'm saying new out of the box whole rifles for a reasonable price.
I also know there are millions of 35R. firearms out there and ammo and component will be around for a long time to come.
And yes there are more 35R. than Win.32 spl. mainly because it is chamber in more than just a lever rifle and had/has a longer steady mfg. run too.
All else I agree with you but unless Marlin or Henry or Rossi and Mossberg starts chambering this well deserve cartridge Yes it will go down the some road as the 32 spl. the 356w the 375w. and others.
I'm not calling it dead but i think the MFG is.
This is my opinion and that is all.

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I never said Marlin drop the 336-35R just know Rem. Marlin are not producing the 336-35R. now nor is anyone else. Other than the custom shops and a the T/C barrel 35R. being offered can you tell me who is?
T:flute: NY

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.