Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some tell me the best way to form 32 Winchester Special brass out of 375 Win. Is there a die that I can use to pre size before using the 32 die? Back in the late 70’s I form some 357 Herett and vaguely remember ruining a several cases. I found some 375 but the 32s are hard to find from the mail order stores. I been waiting for several month now.

I wish I had that 357 Herett TC. :'(

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Huh? Use 30-30 cases, they are a cheap and you just neck them up
The case capacity of the 32 Win Special, itself only a slightly necked up 30-30 case, full case, is 44.3 gr (of water).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like they got them in. Cool! I been waiting for while. Forming 375 win to 32 win is what I want to use because I own a 30-30 and I don't want to mix 32 win with 30-30. I seen what kind of injuries was done to my uncle when he was not paying attention. :'(

I am on the lookout for brass even if I don't reload for it.

Thanks

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
You might offer them .375 cases in trade for .32s pretty sure you could make a deal.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
blue today said:
Looks like they got them in. Cool! I been waiting for while. Forming 375 win to 32 win is what I want to use because I own a 30-30 and I don't want to mix 32 win with 30-30. I seen what kind of injuries was done to my uncle when he was not paying attention. :'(

I am on the lookout for brass even if I don't reload for it.

Thanks
Blue, it's no great trick to form them. Simply run them into the .32 sizing die and there you go. Check your case length to make sure they aren't too long. It's way cheaper to make them out of .30-30 though. If you accidentally run one through the .30-30 die it'll convert it back. The .32 Special is very easy to work with.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't shoot enough .32 Win Specials to warrant forming cases, but this brings to mind a problem I've experienced with this cartridge. I've used both Remington and Winchester brass. With the Winchester brass, I've noticed that it seems to be very thin, particularly in the neck area. As a result, I've had lots of neck splits, even in once-fired brass. Also, I've had several necks collapse during bullet seating. Any of you guys seeing this?

Like I said, I haven't tried forming from another case. However, if .30-30 brass is as thin as my Win .32's, I frankly don't think they could be successfully necked up. (I don't have a .30-30 to try it with.)

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I neck up 30-30's to 32spl all the time. I will see a split neck once in awhile after about the third of forth loading, but 30-30's are so cheap losing a couple is no biggie.

One more thing...I never push my 30-30/32 loads past factory specs....I usually am a little on the low side just because 30-30 brass can be a little wimpy. The hotter you go the more splits you will see. :(

·
Registered
717 Posts
i make 32 special cases from 30-30 cases all the time. I keep the ammo in the right gun by shooting cast bullets only in the 32 spec and jacketed bullets only in the 30-30.....works for me.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
I've done both new 30-30 brass and once fired in WW and RP both very easy to do with very little to no case loss. The once fired are easier as the necks are almost at .32 size already with a single pass through the sizer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hank in Arkansas said:
With the Winchester brass, I've noticed that it seems to be very thin, particularly in the neck area. As a result, I've had lots of neck splits, even in once-fired brass. Also, I've had several necks collapse during bullet seating. Any of you guys seeing this?
In my 30-30 I found that I don't have that problem. I do believe that if you work harden that brass it will become brittle. The chamber in your gun may be a bit oversize and using a set of dies that will size them thight and then opening them up to seat the bullet can take a toll. I have the cowboy sizing die, it sizes them so tight that you can see a bulge with a .308 bullet. I now use a Lee sizing die that is drill out for shooting .311 cast bullets. Works great. I also use the RCBS green box dies to size jacketed bullets with no problems and I also have a set of Lyman as well. Yes I own and use them all.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
My 32WSPL dies say Herters on them, as well as my 30-30's and some others. I've got some Super-X cases from the early 50's that will split now and then, but haven't had a problem with the Winchesters I bought in '92 - they've been loaded a lot with light loads and loaded some with heavy loads - still humming along. a 30-30 is basically .308 and a 32WSPL is basically .321 - not an earth shattering difference. I have both - they are both a lot of fun. The 32 has shot deer, antelope and elk. The 30-30 has taken a smattering of cans and paper plates - both a lot of fun.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Let's keep this simple. You can covert 30-30 to 32 Win. Spl. To keep the necks from splitting, anneal them before you covert. Be careful to not get that brass a bright red color though. Then the necks will be too soft. That ain't good although they'll work harden some after a few loadings if you haven't made them too soft.
I ecently got a smokin' al on a pre-64 M94 in .32 Win. Spl. and plan on shooting cast bullets exclusively in that gun just as I do my 30-30's.
Paul B.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've necked up .30-30 brass to .375 Win. with no split necks and no annealing. Just by running the .30-30 brass through a .35 Rem. sizing die then the .375 die.
I also do the same sizing .308 brass in one swipe to .358.

Just go at it!

Hip

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I just got a bad batch of Winchester brass, either too thin or too brittle. I didn't have the problem with the Remington .32 Specials, just the Winchester.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I would use proper head stamped brass. I have always had good luck with R-P brass.

JD338

1 - 16 of 16 Posts