Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Redding form and trim die for reforming 32/20 brass to 25/20? I have plenty of 32/20 brass and very little 25/20. I tried a process described on another board but my RCBS dies aren't cut the same as theirs so the intermediate step needed to keep from wrinkling of the necks did not work.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I waited a couple of days to see if anyone here was doing this particular conversion, looks like not. I've done some of this type of thing, .357->.22 Jet, .38 Spl->7.62x25, .223->7.62x25. What I found is that certain makes of brass needed annealing before commencing necking down. Intermediate steps prior to going to real diameter are frequently needed, too. Even with a form die set, about 1 out of 5 cases ended up collapsing with .22 Jet forming. That's with new brass, if you're using used stuff, all bets are off. I use a lead bath with a thermometer for annealing, a propane torch just doesn't cut it for case forming. I use Imperial Die Sizing Wax for this, anything else I've tried didn't work and stuck cases.

.32-20 brass is pretty thin, I don't enjoy reloading it, myself. It's going to be a challenge getting that necked down without filling up the scrap brass bin. Usually you can buy a whole lot of brass for what a set of form dies costs, since they're custom made. The exception is for calibers like my Jet where the brass isn't made anymore. .25-20 is another one of those calibers they used to make a single run of in the off season and it's been on hiatus for years while they crank out stuff with more demand for it. Hopefully, that's changing.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Ive resized 32-20 to make my 25-20 go Bang.... I just lubed it and ran it through the sizer die (Lyman)
I didn't lose/crush any.

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Ive resized 32-20 to make my 25-20 go Bang.... I just lubed it and ran it through the sizer die (Lyman)
I didn't lose/crush any.

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Try Buffalo Arms for brass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts