Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post here. I see there is a lot of knowledge here and I'm hoping to gain some myself. I have just picked up a golden 39a dated 1968 in visually poor condition. Stock is in good shape but the gun itself is rusty on the outside cosmetic surfaces. Inside appears to be well oiled. I see there is a sticker (this one is too worn to read) on the bottom side of the forend. From searching this forum and other sites, I believe this sticker to be gold or silver, with maroon coloring and the words "solid American walnut" and a silhouette of a tree. First, is this the correct sticker? And second, can I purchase it somewhere? I'm going to refinish this and would love it to look nee with the correct sticker intact if possible. Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Welcome to the MO Forum! I have never seen one being reproduced. I don't think a market exsists for one, mainly because they should have been removed prior to using the rifle. The ones that have been left on and worn, will reveal a different color underneath when finally removed. If you have a rifle ANIB with the sticker on it, and want to keep it unfired, then I would leave it. If you are going to refinish and shoot it, don't put a sticker on your refinished furniture. Keep us posted with how it all turns out!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hello all! This is my first post here. I see there is a lot of knowledge here and I'm hoping to gain some myself. I have just picked up a golden 39a dated 1968 in visually poor condition. Stock is in good shape but the gun itself is rusty on the outside cosmetic surfaces. Inside appears to be well oiled. I see there is a sticker (this one is too worn to read) on the bottom side of the forend. From searching this forum and other sites, I believe this sticker to be gold or silver, with maroon coloring and the words "solid American walnut" and a silhouette of a tree. First, is this the correct sticker? And second, can I purchase it somewhere? I'm going to refinish this and would love it to look nee with the correct sticker intact if possible. Thanks and I look forward to your responses!
There's no market for such except guys faking up a NIB gun for sale. Any original owner in their right mind would have pulled the sticker off before using it. It was only a sales gimmick for racked-up guns in a store. Doesn't shoot any better with it in place. Now you're going to have gummy residue on the forearm. There ARE guys that collect ephemera like that, but they'd prefer that the stickers be on factory backing, never applied. Repros wouldn't cut it. They'd probably would charge more than the gun cost.

For your rust, use some light oil and ultrafine steel or bronze wool to remove it, see what you've got for finish left under it and what you've got for pits. WD40 works for this and bronze wool won't remove what bluing is left. Don't use the dremel and a wire wheel.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not doing a restoration really, I plan on cerakoting it and refinish the stock. Previous owner states he "forgot it on the outside porch" for more than a year, rust is more than a cleaning unfortunately, but I've dealt with worse. I'll pass on the sticker. I'll get some before and after pics posted when I get it done.

·
Banned
20,659 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts