Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Glenfield 30A a while back. I prefer the sights to the 336, and also like the end cap vs the barrel band on the forend. I do, however, HATE the wood on the Glenfield.

I squirreled away a nice classic limited stock from Numrich a while back (checkered with very nice figure) that I'd like to use, but I need to find a matching forend.

Obviously the Glenfields came with crap wood on them. I know the 336A and the Marlin 30AS came with the end cap as oppposed to the barrel band, but what other model forends will fit?

I ordered what Numrich advertised as an 1894 Classic Limited forend, which turned out to apparently be for an 1897 Classic Limited as the channel for the magazine is 22 sized. It could be made to work but not without a lot of work.

Does anyone know of a 30-30 Marlin that uses an end cap on the forend that will work. Looking for something that is walnut and preferably checkered. Overall length is about 9 3/4"

Numrich offers a different 1894 Classic Limited forend but the description says it's only 9" long.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I believe he's already got the end cap installed, that's why he's looking for an end cap type fore end.

I'm wondering if an 1895 fore end would fit. The channel for the magazine tube would be lather than needed but I'm thinking you done want contact anyway and once installed I don't think you'd be able to see a difference.

Aside from that, the only ones I can think of are some of the store brand guns like my J.C. Higgins.

Reactions: jeepwm69

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The forend for an SC or A would work. Problem is those are out of print and Remlin has gone to the shorter fore ends for everything. Therefore, Boyds, who seem to be their supplier, are only making the shorter forend.

I did the cut down on my G 30, and it still looks like birch. I did score a set of presentation wood from an old Marlin stash, but it needs fitting. Maybe this winter.

Seems that all that laminate or nothing is our choice these days. I would rather have nothing, a la Original Henry.

Maybe Georgia Gunstocks can help, but the problem is matching your walnut butt stock. I have another nice walnut butt, but no forfend. We are in the same boat on that one.

·
Super Moderator
11,416 Posts
You are right. The lower models 336 came with cheap wood that was just walnut stained. You will be looking for a Walnut piece for an endcap. Pay attention to the length and the type of barrel the forend was made for (Octagonal or round ---tapered or not). The wrong length will screw you up with the endcap style.

·
Registered
969 Posts
An 1895 or 444SS forearm may fit a 30a but the barrel channel will be way oversize on a 30-30 barrel.
There is a seller on Fleabay who usually has unfinished reproduction walnut forearms for marlin LGs. I have not bought one so no comment on the quality.

BB

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Precision Gun Works sells new, unfinished raw walnut stock sets. But you have to do the final fitting and finishing yourself.

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I can get one made at Boyd's or Precision Gun Works. I was hoping to find a factory forend so the checkering and finish would match the stock I have.

The factory checkered walnut forends are anywhere from $25-40 at Numrich, but of course, they are all 9 inches instead of 9 3/4 except for the 1897, which might be modified to work, but beyond my skillset.

I have an inquiry into Bob in Royal Arkansas and if he doesn't have what I need I'll likely get one made by Boyd's. Looks like I can get X and XX walnut there. Pricey but at least it will be what I need.

The question is, can Boyd's copy the Marlin checkering pattern or do they only offer what's on their site?

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the forend from Brownells and got it fit last night.

The pics with the gun are sans magazine tube as I had to remove the forend again and get some Tung oil on the areas I sanded. I'll put it back together completely tonight.

Took quite a bit of sanding and cutting to get it to fit properly, but it fits tight now. Obviously much wider than the OEM Glenfield forend but I actually prefer a wider forarm.

Have a factory Marlin Walnut stock with matching checkering to go on, and then it will be like I want it.

In the last pic, pictured are 1895, 1894 in 44 mag (the one I just got from Brownells, and the one that is installed on the rifle in the pics), the original Glenfield wood, and an 1894 Century Limited Forend that I really, really hoped would fit when I ordered it some time back, but obviously was too short to fit the model 30. A shame too as it has very nice figure and checkering.
View attachment 722810 Gun Shotgun Scabbard Air gun Antique tool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.