Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more and more of the MI M-Lok rails showing up on Marlins, we're seeing more variety in attachments, too. The obvious ones are weapon lights. Less common (so far) are foregrips. I've seen a few, straight and angled, but not many. This one really looks like it helps with control while actuating the lever:

So, who's tried one? What kind? How'd you like it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
With more and more of the MI M-Lok rails showing up on Marlins, we're seeing more variety in attachments, too. The obvious ones are weapon lights. Less common (so far) are foregrips. I've seen a few, straight and angled, but not many. This one really looks like it helps with control while actuating the lever:

I use hand stops rather a vertical grip. I get more of a natural grip than with a vertical grip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use hand stops rather a vertical grip. I get more of a natural grip than with a vertical grip.

Interesting. I have that same Magpul handstop kit, but I tried it with the large piece back on the second (from the rear) M-lok slot with the back of my hand against it. That felt the most natural in terms of how far out it sits, but the ergonomics weren't particularly comfortable there. How do you hold it with it out so far? I've never been able to get used to the straight-arm, choke-the-chicken grip on an AR. Add to that the length of a traditional stock and it seems way too far out for me.

Side note: Did you Cerakote your MI rail? It looks gray (possibly more than one) to match the stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. I have that same Magpul handstop kit, but I tried it with the large piece back on the second (from the rear) M-lok slot with the back of my hand against it. That felt the most natural in terms of how far out it sits, but the ergonomics weren't particularly comfortable there. How do you hold it with it out so far? I've never been able to get used to the straight-arm, choke-the-chicken grip on an AR. Add to that the length of a traditional stock and it seems way too far out for me.

Side note: Did you Cerakote your MI rail? It looks gray (possibly more than one) to match the stock.
I "brushed" some grey cerakote on the handguard to make it look similar to the wood grain on the stock. It actually came out better than I expected because I'm not a painter.

I have no problem reaching that hand stop that far forward. You obviously have to set it up to your size. What I do when I get into more improvised shooting positions, is move my hand back and put the hand stop between my fingers. That allows me to move my hand back more as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Being a traditionalist when it comes to Marlins, all I can do when I see these beautiful rifles trying to be more than what they were meant to be, is to shake my head.
I am not bashing personal choices, I support everyone's choice of personalizing their firearms, I just don't see the reasoning..I guess.
Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I "brushed" some grey cerakote on the handguard to make it look similar to the wood grain on the stock. It actually came out better than I expected because I'm not a painter.
From what I can see, it turned out well.

I have no problem reaching that hand stop that far forward. You obviously have to set it up to your size. What I do when I get into more improvised shooting positions, is move my hand back and put the hand stop between my fingers. That allows me to move my hand back more as needed.
I'm 6'2" with reasonably long arms, so it's not a matter of reaching out that far. I've just never found it comfortable to keep it out that far. Having the hand stop on the first (rear-most) M-Lok slot was definitely too short and on the third felt too far out. The second seems about right, but the hand stop doesn't feel comfortable on the hand in that location. The curve is too extreme in that position. I could see it feeling better further out.

I'm thinking of a hybrid grip with the bottom two finger on the grip and the other two on the rail:

maxresdefault.jpg

Though, I wouldn't c-clamp it, since that would put my thumb on the barrel. I'd go with the thumb on the rail, parallel to the bore, along that top 45.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being a traditionalist when it comes to Marlins, all I can do when I see these beautiful rifles trying to be more than what they were meant to be, is to shake my head.
I am not bashing personal choices, I support everyone's choice of personalizing their firearms, I just don't see the reasoning..I guess.
Andrew
I love traditional ones, too. I'm doing this for two reasons:

1) I find it fun see what I can do. I rarely like to have anything "factory" like everyone else. :proud:
2) I live in NY, so eventually the competition with California, etc., will reach the point where this will be useful. :bawling:

Besides, if the additional features are functionally beneficial, then why not try them? How I'm implementing them is different than on an AR. There are certain setups that I won't consider because they don't seem right. But at the same time, I don't want to dismiss options without giving them their due consideration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I can see, it turned out well.

I'm 6'2" with reasonably long arms, so it's not a matter of reaching out that far. I've just never found it comfortable to keep it out that far. Having the hand stop on the first (rear-most) M-Lok slot was definitely to short and on the third felt to far out. The second seems about right, but the hand stop doesn't feel comfortable on the hand in that location. The curve is too extreme in that position. I could see it feeling better further out.

I'm thinking of a hybrid grip with the bottom two finger on the grip and the other two on the rail:

View attachment 766383

Though, I wouldn't c-clamp it, since that would put my thumb on the barrel. I'd go with the thumb on the rail, parallel to the bore, along that top 45.
I put my thumb on the light so I do t touch the barrel. Especially when it gets hot from running drills.

Close up pic of hand guard after paint job.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Okay. Well, it is different. I guess that is how the motorcycle, vehicle and airplane came to be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Decided to give the Halo Handstop from Tyrant Designs a try:

Tyrant_Designs_Halo_Series_AR-15_Handstop_Jeff_Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com_DR_F.jpg

Tyrant_Designs_Halo_Series_AR-15_Handstop_Jeff_Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com_DR_I.jpg

Tyrant_Designs_Halo_Series_AR-15_Handstop_Jeff_Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com_DR_D.jpg

Tyrant_Designs_Halo_Series_AR-15_Handstop_Jeff_Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com_DR_E.jpg

Small, lightweight, skeletonized (fits lever style), can be mounted swept forward or backward, and comes in gray (or grey, if you prefer.) I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am SO old and hidebound.

Makes me want to take my Corvette and go mudding. No wait - I'll take my Jeep which is made for stuff like that.
Jeeps aren't in danger of being made illegal and Corvettes aren't nearly as capable offroad as a lever gun can be tactical. Besides ...

Gunjunkie said:
This section we are trying out for those that make and use tactical leverguns for home defense and other than the normal realm of applications..

There will be no digging or slamming members for their personal choices of what to do with their own firearms.. NONE..

If you don't like altered firearms stay away from this section..
:wink:

I know people don't like them ... telling me so doesn't answer my question ...

·
Registered
762 Posts

You know...I like that a lot! Is that an NX8 I spy on top?

I've got a 336RC and a Glenfield 30 that I haven't shot much lately as the stock LOP is too long for my preferred stance. I'm looking at getting some shorter Boyds furniture for each, and finding a reputable local smith to do a barrel/mag and barrel cut to 16" on each, respectively.

Reactions: Sigma05

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I wouldn't want that look on my traditional Marlins but it looks ok on the SBL, I'd prefer a black sling and cuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts

To put it bluntly....this is b'dass! I came by a picture of a suppressed, tactical 30/30 last year while sitting quietly in a deer blind and right then had to have one. As there was no way I was modifying my dad's old '64 Western Field, I began the "hunt" for an older Marlin 336 that was priced right and still functional. Went to a gun show and after passing on A LOT of overpriced 30/30's finally came across a '73 Marlin 336 and picked it up, headed to the car, grabbed a burger, and ordered the Midway Ind. MLOK rail before I finished my french fries.....Sorry to the purists out there, but does anyone really buy something to be the same as everyone else? I've bought Jeeps....lifted them. 4-runner...lifted. Everyone wants new wheels. AR's - modified to my liking. Now this....To me it is old meets new and somewhat Mad Max'ish or even now with the release of Disney+.....Mandalorian'ish. I can tell you that my son is now asking to use this for deer hunting instead of the suppressed 300 BLK. They will fight over this one when I'm gone. But until then....It really is cool. Defense weapon? Yes, it shoots bullets....It will defend.

Thanks for the video and the thread.

IMG_8675.jpg

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Interesting. Not for me, bit of a traditionalist but hey, if it works for you thats great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts