Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how hard is it going to be to find one of these for my Octagon 30-30. I am half tempted to buy one of these and retro fit. After doing a lot of reading in here. One of a bowed Mag tube. I realized mine was also. And I like a sling. And would like to make it right. As for proper Marlin rear stock sling mount lug position. Eh.. a hole has already been drilled, there won't be another. Is there a catalog of the period of what Marlin would have done somewhere in MO.

Marlin 336 blue nose cap, used, parts : Small Rifle Parts at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Go to World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells. There are a variety of them in the Marlins Parts. For those with the forearm cap, you'll need to look in the Model 1894 parts, and there, you'll find the ones for round and octagon barrels with and without the sling swivel stud. I got one for an 1894 Cowboy with the sling stud it worked perfectly with the octagon barrel, and I also got the ones for the round barrel 1894s, and put them on a couple of Glenfields in 30-30.

You have to search around in the Marlin parts section, and kind of read between the lines to figure out which one is which. The ones for the 1894 will fit the 336s with no real problems.

Good luck with what you're looking for, and I hope the have them in stock.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bookmarked Thanks LPete ... fitment is important to the wood also. I field stripped it, as per the video. Didn't come apart as smoothly as his. Wood was tight on the tang. Had to lever off the floor plate. Forearm stock had to come off with the mag tube, slowly ... as it all fit so tight. Insides don't look like it has been fired that much. I know that my six boxes probably don't amount to much. Previous owner probably 2 or 3. I did not smooth the action. But it is kinda clunky. I am at a kinda at loss after learning so much here, as to what to do with it. It is my only large caliber rifle. I doubt it would be considered a high number in appearance. What do I want a safe queen (which I guess it already is) as I don't hunt. Smooth action or not it still shoots.

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
Bookmarked Thanks LPete ... fitment is important to the wood also. I field stripped it, as per the video. Didn't come apart as smoothly as his. Wood was tight on the tang. Had to lever off the floor plate. Forearm stock had to come off with the mag tube, slowly ... as it all fit so tight. Insides don't look like it has been fired that much. I know that my six boxes probably don't amount to much. Previous owner probably 2 or 3. I did not smooth the action. But it is kinda clunky. I am at a kinda at loss after learning so much here, as to what to do with it. It is my only large caliber rifle. I doubt it would be considered a high number in appearance. What do I want a safe queen (which I guess it already is) as I don't hunt. Smooth action or not it still shoots.
Hit the Gunsmithing Forum (see my signature). Lots of great info from disassembly to action work. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts