Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents. Have a 444s that someone has opened up the groove where the barrel band screw passes through on the bottom of the barrel. I think maybe the forearm was replaced and this groove was opened up some as the replacement hole didn't line up exactly. All of that is assumption though.

What I'm wondering is can someone with one of these tell me what the depth of that groove is on their rifle? If this groove was widened a little, that's one thing. However if it was deepened then that's another as it would lessen the material between the outside diameter of the bore and the minor diameter of the barrel at that groove. If that makes sense.

Just trying to find out. Gun is a 1974 vintage according to the serial number and is a 444s. It's in excellent shape with 99% bluing and a bright and clean bore.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
That groove on my 444S barrel measures ~0.130" wide at the widest point and ~0.082" deep....basically a 1/8" or 3.30mm. It appears to be widened by almost another diameter, ~1/4" but not deepened. The wall thickness at the milled points greatest depth sould be ~0.275 - 0.280" and on my barrel that point is ~13.6" from the chamber.

There is PLENY of steel in the barrel walls at that point to contain any pressure present at that point considering there is about half that amount of steel at the chamber end and that amount handles maximum chamber pressure.

I wouldn't have any problems using that barrel.

I'm guessing whoever did whatever he did just did a simple adjustment to make things fit/work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can only assume so. Yeah it doesn't look deeper to me and the tooling marks look like they're old in the bottom of the groove.

I have nothing in it as the previous owner thought it needed a new barrel due to this and is scared of it.

I didn't even look closely as I didn't really care at the time but after looking at it I'm not super concerned either. I'll pull out a caliper to measure in detail but I think it's fine.

The barrel band is missing so I'll have to find one of those and a screw. Numrich has the screw but no bands so I'll have to keep looking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Parts are getting scarce...Midway has some, Brownell some and Numrich some...I just ordered a front barrel band from Numrich but they were out of the screws...guess I'll have to make one. Looks like Remarlington is going with the forend metal caps and so am I.

LUCK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCORE. ;D Found both and their on their way. Now I'm hoping to find some ammo local so I can fire this thing and check it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, finally got the last part I was missing and got it together. Shot it today a few times and not only does it shoot straight, but it's a spirited gun to shoot too. If I wasn't used to recoil I might have been surprised.

Was shooting Hornady LR 265 grain ammo.

All in all I love it. Just thought I'd share

1 - 7 of 7 Posts