Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2006 Ford F-150 with 5.4 Liter Triton Engine (I think it may be a 3 valve...? :dontknow:) that seems to have experienced what I read on line as a spark plug blowout whereas the compression is pushing straight past the plug and the engine of course has limited power. Engine has 130K miles with the plugs having been changed by the dealership (for $386!!) at the 100k mark.

Ford dealership themselves has been doing all maintenance including all routine oil changes every 5k on this vehicle since purchased new (as set by their maintenance schedule for maintaining “tires for life” promotion). Vehicle developed a ticking or “tinging” around 65-70k that made it sound like a diesel. Ford techs never mentioned the possibility of what now seems to be a “known” developing problem when I asked about it during a couple times over normal 5k service intervals (did one time graciously offer to charge me $120/hr to investigate). Symptoms remained even after plugs changed.

Has anyone here had any experince with this type failure - either in general as a mechanic or with Ford engine specifically, or as a Ford owner? It happens to be the #8 cylinderr way in back on right hand side...

just wondering if anyone here has any idea of how involved it may be and what kind of parts, labor and mechanic time involved might I be looking at - or a general knowlegable guess at average cost range. (I’m simply making up $350 - $1300+ To prepare myself ....)

Thank you for any experience, knowledge or knowledgeable advice you can share with me on this particular type failure...

Tar_Heel

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dont have any experience with spark plug blow by, but I did have a 2007 ford with a 5.4l 3 valve. Plugs were a pain in the butt and expensive. The loud noise from the engine is from the variable timing setup. Mine finally lost all power and would barely run, took it to 2 independent mechanics and a talked to the ford dealership both told me I either needed to change cam position sensors and sprockets about 2 grand or a new engine about 5 to 6. I ended up doing my own research online and found that many times the cause of this problem was 2 oil pressure sensors, one in each head I changed them out myself fired right drove it about 800 miles without a hiccup put it for sale with a explenation of the problems I had had and what I had done to fix it. Sold It and never looked back and would never even entertain the Idea of owning another Ford 3v interference engine again complete junk.

Long story but in my opinion get it fixed and run.

Ross

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
are you talking about the plug being blown out of the head itself? if so yeas I have repaired 3 of them. if there is a Dixie auto parts near you go there and tell them what happened. they make a repair kit to fix it. you tap the hole and install an insert and put the plug in. look on youtube I am sure there is videos on how to do it. if you have no experience as a mechanic or lack the confidence I would find someone in a "small shop" that dose. it can be a pain to do correctly. I hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,719 Posts
GM has similar problems with plugs' threads protruding into the combustion chamber. With a 100,000 mile plug change the threads were covered with combustion byproducts which would wipe out the aluminum threads in the heads.

A Ford mechanic told me they have to just crack the the plugs on a cold engine, then soak them over night with a penetrant (Kroil?) Even then they lost some heads.

Guess it's change your plugs every 100K and likely the heads.

Bring back cast iron! I'll settle for the extra gas it takes to move the added weight.

AC

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
are you talking about the plug being blown out of the head itself? if so yeas I have repaired 3 of them. if there is a Dixie auto parts near you go there and tell them what happened. they make a repair kit to fix it. you tap the hole and install an insert and put the plug in. look on youtube I am sure there is videos on how to do it. if you have no experience as a mechanic or lack the confidence I would find someone in a "small shop" that dose. it can be a pain to do correctly. I hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yep, the old tried and proven HeliCoil fix. I've repaired a few stripped exhaust manifold threads on cast iron heads using them, they work well.

I agree with AC, bring back cast iron heads. Aluminum head threads are prone to strip much more than cast iron.

Jack

·
Registered
28,627 Posts
happened to me. Im driving down a country road. then it sounded like a machine gun. I knew what it was, I shut off the engine. had it towed to my local mechanic. he installed a sleeve I think its called not sure , anyway, I drove it for fifty thousand more miles. no problems. now im gonna convert to my driveway plow truck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the truck isn't missing and throwing codes but just lacks power, you might want to have your catalytic converter inspected. The cats on those trucks have a habit of clogging up and killing power. That tick could be an exhaust leak because it can't flow downstream as it supposed to.
...says a guy with a 99 Super Duty 5.4L with over 404k and the cat cut off... ;D

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Usually they flat out blow the plug clean out of the head!, it takes out the ignition coil on that cylinder at the same time (breaks the mounting ear off!), there are two different kits to repair the head, depending on what engine it is specifically?, we had one done on a van at work, for $20 more on the second one, ironically the other head on the SAME van!, we purchased the kit, I did the second one, the hardest part is getting the chips out of the cylinder before you reassemble it.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Every Triton DIY owner and shop needs one of these or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS65600-Broken-Remover-Engines/dp/B00267PZUK

I've never had the need to use one of these. I'm not smart enough to own a Ford - from their TV commercials:

Narrator: Is your truck smart enough for California?

Guy sitting in his truck arguing with other Einsteins: Alexia, is a hot dog a sandwich?

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
After owning a ford for 5 years and replacing engine and tranny at 100,000 miles. Then seeing the headaces my mom and dad and father In law have had I won’t be buying one again.

I hear there is a nice reliable truck made in San Antonio that I will be checking out or maybe a challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I had a fire in '92 with and F350 with 11K miles. If you need a good attorney, I can PM his name. Been in Chevy's ever since and never looked back. FOMOCO bought me a couple of them.

Disclaimer: I still own a 77 Ford F100 PU truck, a 63 Falcon Sport Futura convertible and two Ford tractors.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
My partner had this problem in her I think it was a 2003 f-150. ended up with a new manifold. but ford is notorious for this crap. Hate to rant on them but my 2010 is junk falling apart and costing a small fortune to keep on the road. My 2005 runs like a champ although it cost me 1200 to replace the plugs a 100K since a few got "stuck" then about 50k later the exhaust manifold cracked, good ole cast iron. had to remove the engine to replace so I put steel headers at the cost of $3000.00. not much good i can say about ford with all the troubles I have had and the cost to repair them.

I am not sure which flavor to get when i finally get fed-up but it won't be a ford.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
My last company truck was an '06 F-150 with that engine. I was heading into work one morning, left off the pedal going down a hill to a bridge and a curve, moreless coasted through them and then mashed the pedal to climb outta that little valley, when I heard something hit the hood from the inside and the truck started huffing and puffing with every stroke! Lost power and I knew that noise was a "cylinder with no spark plug" noise. I pulled into the next wide driveway and called the shop to come tow it in.

The guys here at the shop fixed it that same day while I was working in the office. I never asked how they fixed it, but figured it was a helicoil fix. That was when it had about 150-160K on it. I drove it everyday after that until I got my current F-150 (2013). One of the guys working here bought it for his grandson to drive, and as far as I know he's still putting the miles on it.

My '13 truck just turned a 100K and the only trouble I've had is flat tires and brake rotors & pads. (Oh, and there's that deer that jumped out in front of me last Fall) No tranny troubles in any of the Fords I've driven over the years. I take that back, my 1974 Ranchero had to have a tranny rebuild at about 200K. Some of our shop trucks have over 350k on them and they still run strong. Most of them are big block V8"s, some auto some manual. We've been running Fords since the 70's with great success.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've experienced this with an older company Ford truck, same engine. Mine had a dedicated coil for each plug and when they started failing (one right after the other), I started experiencing similar issues. We ended up replacing them all and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I have successfully done a few Heli-coil repairs. One was on a Chevy Luv (isuzu). I was moving and it blew the plug out of the head, putting a dent in the hood. Man was that thing LOUD!.

I did it without removing the head. I Put the cylinder at the bottom of the power stroke (i.e. valves closed). Drilled and tapped the hole for the helicoil. Put a piece of tygon tubing on a vacuum and sucked out all of the aluminum chips. Installed the heli-coil, the new plug, and all was well. Ran the truck for another 30k miles without issue.

I am a Ford man and i will not touch a truck with the 5.4 in it. Bad juju....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've owned and driven the big 3 and a couple Jap brands over the decades and one thing I know to be true is that every manufacturer rolls out a dud now and then, and they ALL have their problems.
Brand loyalty is a gimmick to keep you buying their product even when it is junk.
I grew up driving Fords but went to Chev for the ride quality when I started a 1200k commute to work.
After 10 years of replacing front end parts on Chevy's every second weekend, a rear diff, 2 transfer cases, injectors and a blown head gasket I'll give Ford another try.
I read all the reviews and I swore I'd never run a 5.4L until I had 2 buddies drive them. One had a Harley truck, the other a beater F150. The Harley was looked after, the F150 fueled up and driven like it was stolen. Both had lots of power and good mileage with no real issues so when my Super Duty fell in my lap I took it.
It's all a matter of preference and whether your vehicle was built on a Monday, Wednesday or a Friday imo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.