Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not gun related-but is it true you folks still make the ford falcon? How might one contact owners who might have a 1963 falcon?

willr28

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
I think Ford quit making the Falcon in 1970

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Sold my 64 wagon a few years ago, almost bought a 62 4 door last month, decided to dump the money into Me Harley instead

·
Registered
280 Posts
No they don't make them anymore that I know about.
Given this is in the Aus & NZ section I can say with certainty that ford hasn't stopped producing them in Aus, not yet anyway, Ford Australia is stopping local production Oct 2016 and that will be the end of the falcon.
Here's a link to the current V8 version
GT | Ford Performance Vehicles | FPV
You can still get them with a 6 cylinder that is an evolution of the original inline 6 from early falcons and mustangs nowadays it's a twin over head cam that makes around 200kw in the base spec and over 300kw in turbo form.

If your looking for earlier falcons in Aus then any of the Aus online car sales sites should turn up a few

·
Registered
285 Posts
They can't afford to make them here anymore because of the unions and the retched Carbon Tax! What the f ck is that?
They are a great part of Australian history

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Part of the problem is that Ford and other manufacturers will change the name of the exact same vehicle depending which land mass it happens to be on. Based more on marketing in that particular country than changes in the vehicle itself. So a Ford Winger-ding in the US is called something else in UK/Europe, something else again in South America, and something else again in Australia (and sometimes Asia). But will be mostly the same vehicle.

Australia does seem neat in that they have some VERY capable variants and several unique body styles that I haven't come across elsewhere. The Chevy Caprice is/was being manufactured there, they have a HUGE small truck variety, and several very capable sports cars like the GT mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can still buy an El Camino in Oz with a great big Honking V8 in it!
Only it's Holden and not Chevy over there and it's Vauxhall in Europe
instead of Chevy.
European Fords are nothing like US Fords, theirs are way better.

Reactions: willr28

·
Registered
280 Posts
Part of the problem is that Ford and other manufacturers will change the name of the exact same vehicle depending which land mass it happens to be on.
First Aus falcons were pretty much just right hand drive versions of the US falcon, up until the US falcon was discontinued they were pretty much the same with minor improvements to suit Aus Conditions. From there on Aus went solo in designing and developing the falcon, current generation is really just an evolution of the early US falcon and still has the original 6 or 8cyl rear wheel drive design layout.
a good history of the evolution here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Australia)

Do ford still make a medium to large sedan in rear wheel drive for the US? looks like we will be getting the mustang as a replacement for the performance falcons but haven't heard yet what will replace the standard versions.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
They can't afford to make them here anymore because of the unions and the retched Carbon Tax! What the f ck is that?
They are a great part of Australian history
If you check the figures, I believe you will find the Aus dollar was around 60 to 70 cents US when Holden and Ford were doing fine. At the current 85 to 95 cent mark, without import duties and tarrifs, a 25% to 30% comparative cost increase is hard to overcome. And considerably more of an effect than anything the union or the carbon tax could put on the costs of the aussie car builders.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No they don't make them anymore that I know about. You can go to Hemmings classic car site and find people that own them and most likely find some for sale in the classified section. I have a way to make you one though maybe we can work something out on a new one. :vollkommenauf:
thank you for the reply. The first car I owned was a 1963 2 dr Falcon. Your last sentence does intrigue me. How would that happen?

willr28

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
thank you for the reply. The first car I owned was a 1963 2 dr Falcon. Your last sentence does intrigue me. How would that happen?

willr28​

Just joking around with that part. I don't even remember what I was thinking at the time.​

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
63 falcon

First Aus falcons were pretty much just right hand drive versions of the US falcon, up until the US falcon was discontinued they were pretty much the same with minor improvements to suit Aus Conditions. From there on Aus went solo in designing and developing the falcon, current generation is really just an evolution of the early US falcon and still has the original 6 or 8cyl rear wheel drive design layout.
a good history of the evolution here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Australia)

Do ford still make a medium to large sedan in rear wheel drive for the US? looks like we will be getting the mustang as a replacement for the performance falcons but haven't heard yet what will replace the standard versions.
thank you for your reply. my falcon was left hand , but had a 6 cyl. Are the 63's a collector item in Aus or they still an everyday mode of transportation?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
thank you for your reply. my falcon was left hand , but had a 6 cyl. Are the 63's a collector item in Aus or they still an everyday mode of transportation?
C'mon guys. We in OZ have come further than the '60s. Who do you think we are,Canada?lol.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do recall that the original Mad Max car was a Ford Falcon.
Both of the Interceptors were Falcons 1973-74 I believe.
I had a US 1964 Falcon waaaay back. Heavily modified no pic of it tho.
I thought it was a '63 but mine was a '64.
Great cars too bad we didn't get them over here.
1974_ford_falcon-pic-57019.jpg

Mad-Max-Ford-Falcon-Coupe-Replica-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts