Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone on here own/owned a Forbes rifle?

I snagged one today off of GunBroker, :marchmellow: and just figured I could get some input from present/past owners....

Mine is in 308Win, OD green stock, matte blk steel and comes with Talley Lt Wt rings.

So if you have one or know a friend with one or whatever, I'd like to hear about it...

Thanks for looking....:tee:

BloodGroove4570

Edit;

Here's a pic of the Forbes Model 20B.

Its a pic from the dealer, but it Is the actual rifle I will be receiving!!!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm
I guess I'll be the ONLY Forbes Rifle owner in these parts!!.?.?.????? :marchmellow:

That's OK, maybe I can convert some of you over to Boltaholics!?!? :biggrin:

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
I heard of a fellow with one, in .308 Win... Posts here time to time by the moniker of BloodGroove45/70. Seems like a pretty good guy.... :biggrin:

Other than reading the magazine articles, I have no knowledge of the Forbes rifle. Seems like it ought to be one heck of a rifle. Gun writer John Barsness and his wife Eileen have written good things about their Forbes rifles.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard of a fellow with one, in .308 Win... Posts here time to time by the moniker of BloodGroove45/70. Seems like a pretty good guy.... :biggrin:

Other than reading the magazine articles, I have no knowledge of the Forbes rifle. Seems like it ought to be one heck of a rifle. Gun writer John Barsness and his wife Eileen have written good things about their Forbes rifles.

Regards, Guy
Hehehe. I've seen that feller around here Guy, he seems alright for a NY'er.....! :marchmellow:

Yeah I've been wanting a lightweight rifle for years. I Always wanted a custom from Melvin Forbes ULA/NULA, but didn't figure I'd ever get/spend the $3500 to get it. The Forbes I hope will be a good rifle and I think with good handloads be just what I was looking for.....
I was thinking of a 7/08 but wanted to keep my loading supplies consolidated somewhat (already load for 30-06 + 300 win mag) so went with the 308. I figured the 308 has been getting it done for years, and I don't see that changing.
I tell you though, I had ALL I COULD DO to not get it in 243!!!! God I LOVE that little cartridge!!!!!

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Very interested in your range reports. It's made with quality components, and I understand that Forbes insisted the build quality remain high, since his name is on the rifle.

From what I understand they're not necessarily match-grade accurate, but PLENTY accurate enough and very lightweight. Good attributes in a hunting rifle. Be nice to get your impressions!

Good luck with it. A little jealous here...

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I searched hard for all the reviews/info I could find on them and didn't find too much. I was on 24hr campfire and one fella there got one in 7/08. He had issues with extraction and the bedding was soso (he.didn't like how it looked under the action/bbl) so he returned it. WELL that thread went on for 72 pages :vollkommenauf: and you talk about folks whining (LORD) and sniffling. The guy got it back and after ALL the sniffling from everyone (the least from the actual owner) he never even SHOT IT, he Sold It!!?!?!??????!!!!
I was floored!
I joined that forum at that moment Just to say, I was gonna buy one!!!! :)

I hope she shoots!!!!!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
86 Posts
I read that forum thread as well. Seemed like the guy was having issues with getting some things resolved with the guys at the plant. Mainly communication from them to him on what was happening to repair the problems. Reviews have been mixed on that sight with some extraction issues and some reporting sloppy bedding jobs. I would say if your new rifle works great then its a great rifle. Haveca good time with it I hope you enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics Added Up Top!!! :marchmellow:

I Cant Wait to Get'er!!!:dancing2::cool::dancing:

Thanks for looking..........:cheers:.:beer:.:beer:.:cheers:
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now what scope are you going to mount on such a classic light weight rifle?? NICE SNAG BY THE WAY.

c.d.
Thanks. I'm gonna run a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x36 Hvy Plex I have here on hand (IMO perfect at ~11oz.).... My other spare is a Leupold 2-7x33....? Keep it small n light.....
If I could find one I'd even go with a fixed 6X.....
One day I'd like to get a VX3 2.5-8x36...
I always run with the scope set on 6x anyhoo....

So these are my options, and I can't afford a new scope at the moment :flute:

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
That 2-7 X 33 is a very nice scope. My wife has one in VXR on her 336. Unless you're shooting mega yardage that little beauty should serve well on a lightweight rifle.

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Few few shooters will ever realize how perfect a fixed " 6X" scope can be 100 yards or farther out.

C.D.
I totally agree. If I could only have fixed power scopes the Leupold 6x would be IT. Just the right magnification and a tough bulletproof scope IMO.....

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Ray that rifle is a beauty I love bolt guns I have two Howa's and love them!!! Never heard of the Forbes rifles but that one is a beauty!!!

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
BG - I've got a pair of those 6x Leupolds.

The small one, 36mm obj lens, is very lightweight and is on a .30-06 of mine. Mostly that's what my youngest son hunts with when he wants something bigger than his 6mm Remington. This is the one I'd recommend for your Forbes rifle, to keep things light and simple. Mine is an older version, but the new ones have excellent glass, and very good low light performance.

The larger 6x, with the 42mm obj lens, is bulkier and a bit heavier, and is on my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL. What a combo... I've taken deer from 20 yards to 400 yards with it, all with the same 300 yard zero. It's my favorite low-light scope too. Glass is excellent!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see this thread is a few months old but I just ordered the same rifle and it should be here in a few weeks.
Any updates on how it shoots?
I had always wanted a ULA but never the cash to buy one this seems like a great deal.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Haven't heard or seen a Forbes until today. Nice looking rifle, I see them on GB, but none of them in 7/08 which is my favorite cartridge, although I do see them in .280 which would make for a sweet set up as well. Here's a pic of my lightweight 7-08 setup. It's a Sako A 11 in 7-08 with a Leupy 2-7x33. I built the stock myself from a piece of Claro walnut. 20140831_111807.jpg 20140831_111807.jpg

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I have a Forbes 24B in 270.They are really accurate and light.I have a 3 X 9 Ziess 0n mine and it weighs in at under 7 lbs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts