Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something interesting on wikipedia the other day, "Also issued was the .45-70 "Forager" round, which contained a thin wooden bullet filled with birdshot, intended for use hunting small game to supplement the soldiers' rations.[SUP][9][/SUP] This round in effect made the .45-70 rifle into a 49 gauge shotgun."

Has anyone tried to make a modern recreation of this? I dont really see the practical value in this day and age, but it could be a neat project.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If want to try something like that, make your own paper patch shot tubes. Much easier to make. Only limits on these is your overall length you can chamber in the type/caliber gun you are using. Can make them for 9mm up, but the larger calibers like 44,444, 45-70 gives better performance simply cause of the number of shot you load. Go back to the ammo paper patch section here for patterns. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/paper-patch-bullets/24012-pdf-files-printing-patches.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used those in 44cal quite a few years ago. Unsuspecting friends were impressed with me hitting clay pigeons thrown close buy.
I do remember someone producing the blue shot capsules for 45cal as well. I haven't seen those in years.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I tried the 357 CCI snake shot in the 1894 I had and it didn't cycle them worth a hoot... I actually had them stick in chamber when I didn't fire it due to COL...

Might be different in others gun though? :hmmmm:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen those I other calibers but never .45-70. I'd imagine whatever I come up with will have to be chambered one at a time, which might be a safety no no.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
TIP i am currently working on this little project. turning an oak dowel to fit as a "slug" and going to use #6 or #7 shot behind it. i will post when i get done. a .410 shotgun shell will fire through a 45-70 but you have to manually load 1 at a time. if my little expirement works right, i will be able to cycle the rifle for repeat shots and have a good home defense and birding round.:biggrin:

Reactions: ChanceMcCall

·
Registered
910 Posts
the thing that worked best for me was an upside down gas check on top lightly crimped in place

·
Banned
515 Posts
I'd like to hear more about the .410 from someone who's tried it. It seems like the wad would keep the shot in so the shot wouldn't foul the rifling. I know there are better guns to shoot a .410 in, like a .410.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think you gotta flick it out with a knife on most gun(from my reading) does not extract. The shot round I made with the ball on top functioned fine from the tube. I did 3 ball loads from the 45-70 and 5 ball in a 458 LOTT. All fun but completely useless.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Years ago when I lived in New Mexico (70's). A company named REMCO produced shot capsules for different calibers (.44, .45, .38 spl). They worked great for rattlers in my Ruger chambered in 45 Colt. The 45 shot capsules had something like 112 #9 shot. They were loaded just like a bullet into the case. Pity they're long out of business now.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
An easier method is to bell a case mouth as wide as you can get it. Chamfer the mouth so that it is sharp. Then use it to push down and twist on milk carton. This cuts out oversized wads. I use a few of those on top of the powder charge. Then add your shot charge and add more as an over-shot wad. Crimp the case neck as usual to keep them in place. The pre-lubed Ox Yoke wads for the .44 cap and ball revolvers are also used in the column. You can also use the pre-cut, over-powder wads used by Black Powder Cartridge shooters (Buffalo Arms).
I use the info from Spence Wolf's book on the Trapdoor loading, Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine.
He recommended:
11.0 grains of Unique
1 card wad - 3 Ok-Yoke wads
260 grains of shot
1 card wad
Roll crimp.
Velocity is listed as 1180 fps
Card use and shot may be adjusted to find the best fit for your cases.

I also adapted the load for my .50-70 Carbine as well.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Even if you don't shoot Trapdoors, I suggest you get the book. Spence passed away several years ago, but the book is still available.
In it he lists other specialty loads for the .45-70....
Drill cartridge or snap caps, Forage loads, Three Ball Guard Load, Round ball and bullet gallery loads for outdoor and indoor shooting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.