Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the 45-70 side but I was curious if there was a difference on this side.

I have both 45-70 and 450 Marlin in the XLR. I really can't justify both but I am torn as to which one to sell.
If you have both I would like to hear from you on your choice, if going to sell one.
Is one worth more than the other? Both are 2006 "JM" guns.
I like the smoother feeding of the 450 Marlin, but the 45-70 can be squeezed for a bit more speed. I have ammo and components for both.​

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That's a tough one Bill,but if you must pick one the 45-70 is probably the better choice since you reload. Like you said you can squeeze a bit more out of it if needs be. Brass is also easier to come by. I too like the smoother feeding of the 450, and the poweful factory rounds (if you can find them), but the 45-70 probably makes more sense. You have ammo and components for both, boy this is a tough one. Keep em both. There that was easy!
JB

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Tough question. The 450 is a great round but the rifle might bring a bit more if sold. But a lot depends in time and place. The 450 enjoys almost cult status which usually means availability of ammo/components and costs are higher.

For me it would come down to whether I valued the rifle that makes shooting easier/cheaper or the exclusivity of something less common.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I moved the scope on the 450 Marlin so it needs to be resighted. Sounds like a good excuse to shoot both and see if that helps me decide.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided to keep the 450. Still have 45-70 in other guns.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Keep the 45-70 it's the classic 1895 gun. Even though I reload, I like the fact that I can find factory 45-70 ammo easer.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems we are the red headed step children of the Marlin crowd. Not as bad as when I shot a 375 Winchester but close.

Reactions: mattusmc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts