Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or 39M's for that matter:

I have a 39M and picked up a steel Weaver B4 for cheap last week. The ring (single ring) that came with it is marked

WEAVER
.22 TIP-OFF 3/4"
PAT. PEND. USA

3/4", I assume, refers to the scope diameter, and it looks like it goes on a standard .22 rail. I don't have my .22s with me at my current residence, but I'm wondering which base I need for my 39M to mount this old Weaver scope. In pictures, it looks like the Weaver branded one has two sets of dovetails -- one for large centerfire-sized rings, and a smaller one for .22 sized rings. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Yes, you are correct.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Marlin owner for years, and longtime reader here, but never had a question until now.

I'm going to go ahead and order the base and see how it works. Also gonna get a 5D or FP from Williams. Then I can see if I need a higher front sight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it has the ramped front sight it'll work with the rec sight. My 39-A worked o-k with
the ramped front sight.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
NuclearMeltdown said:
...or 39M's for that matter:

I have a 39M and picked up a steel Weaver B4 for cheap last week. The ring (single ring) that came with it is marked

WEAVER
.22 TIP-OFF 3/4"
PAT. PEND. USA

3/4", I assume, refers to the scope diameter, and it looks like it goes on a standard .22 rail. I don't have my .22s with me at my current residence, but I'm wondering which base I need for my 39M to mount this old Weaver scope. In pictures, it looks like the Weaver branded one has two sets of dovetails -- one for large centerfire-sized rings, and a smaller one for .22 sized rings. Is this correct?
There are two Marlin-branded bases, one is just for the 3/8" .22 rings, the other has a Weaver base on the bottom and a 3/8" rail on top("two-step" model). The one I have is the latter and is black anodized cast aluminum. If your gun is new enough, it''ll be drilled and tapped already, you just have to remove the plug screws and drop the mount on. Numrich/Gun Parts has had both mount models in the past. They both aren't very long, so are suited for compact scopes and those old pencil versions. If you want to mount a sewer pipe up top, you'll need something else or make one from a blank. 3/4" .22 rings may be hard to find, you may end up shimming 7/8" ones(or buying another pencil scope with both rings, they usually go for $5 or so at the shows). The two-step model gets you a little more height and you may not have to knock the rear sight out for clearance. It also depends on the ring height.

Stan S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts