Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday would have been my Mother's 96th Birthday. She passed just under 15 years ago; about four months after my Father - wed for over 58 years...

She was old-school, and lost her Father - a WW-I vet - to TB contracted from all of that - at age ten. Her Mother (who never re-married) raised my Mother and her Brother by herself.

Both my Mother and her Brother signed up to serve in WW-II: my Mother as a U.S. Army nurse, her Brother as a combat medic who served in the Philippines.

Dad was a WW-II and RVN vet, so it wasn't that they didn't know risks and sacrifices.

Mom and Dad raised three sons - all veterans - and I'd say their proudest moments (other than our births) were "commissioning day" for each of their three sons. Each of us were commissioned in the Army with 2LT bars pinned on by our parents, with bars they were commissioned with. I cherish mine.

She was a patriot, a wonderful Mother, and I am sure is looking down on Her Grandson (my GodSon), presently serving in the Middle East.

I will love her always.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your service.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My parents were special to me, as most are. But there was also a veteran connection.

She was honored appropriately as a vet, and as an honorary member of the Comanche Nation due to my Dad. She was also part Cherokee.

As both an Army Nurse and Mother, me and my brothers were "blessed" with more damn shots than any other kid might have suffered at the time. She saw death from Rabies and TB and other horrible diseases as a POW ward nurse. We got shots for all, plus many others. It was out of a Mother's love. I still remember very sore arms from those. I also recall very well-cooked pork-chops to prevent trichinosis - chops that were close to inedible without gobs of butter and Lemon-Peper (new at the time). Trichinosis is what she grew up with and saw some prisoners die from it. She was a "Momma Bear" before that phrase even existed, and we were certainly not going to suffer from that - or any other disease imaginable...

She nursed me through Scarlet Fever and pneumonia and countless other diseases and hospital-related injuries. I never really appreciated it at the time, but do now.

"For what we knew then"...

So she is very special to me and worthy of a tribute I never really gave when we were together. Wish she knew our farm: she would have loved the wildlife...

Then again, I'd like to think she does, with a far better view!

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful person and a great Patriot. I'm sure she's looking down and is well aware of your love for her.

Reactions: RJF22553

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
God bless you all. She was a lovely little lady.

Reactions: RJF22553

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks, thank you all for your kind comments. It means much!

It is easy to remember her birthday: MLK Day and Inauguration Day.

The day I most remember is her first birthday after my Dad's passing. Her only one until she joined him. It wasn't much of a celebration for her or us, as it was just a bit over a month since she had lost her lifelong love - my Father. She passed just a bit over three months later to join Dad.

Let me correct things: the day I most cherish was their 58th wedding Anniversary, in July of 2004; their last, both seriously in-firmed but both seriously in love.

Their 58th Anniversary, with friends and family at their favorite restaurant: OutBack.

Both were seriously in the twilight of their lives, but loved one another as much as their first date. Theirs was - and is - a love eternal...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts