Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Any one that would like the pictures please send me a message and I will e-mail them to you. I can't seem to get them out any other way, and I apologize for the long delay.

John

·
Super Moderator
17,244 Posts
Copied from E-mail from John...

Here you go guys. The last picture I took this morning, my final try at getting a picture on the forum. I'm just not computer friendly enough I guess. The others are from Joe Cesternino, the gunsmith. Good man. Starting with the third image and going back to the first shows the problem, the second shows how he placed the pin, and the third is the finished part. In the shot I got, you can see the pin behind the cartridge. The gun is handling jacketed and cast bullets like it should now, loving it!

John

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
What caliber are those?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Very good. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.41 magnum. This fix should work for .357, .41, or .44 magnums since they all have an o.a.l. of 1.590".

·
Registered
567 Posts
This particular fix does work IF you limit yourself to a specific OAL that is suitable for the individual rifle.

The real problem still exist in that the timing is off.

Correct timing in this situation would allow a vast array of cartridges of various OAL.

If the shooter (owner) of this rifle were to try a cartridge noticeably short or longer, little gremlins would start interfering with the feeding process.

'IF' your timing continues to deminish, you may discover that your present OAL of your cartridges are insufficient in stopping your jam up problem from occurring in the future.

There is some good information on Marauders webpage concerning the Marlin timing.

I think his website is: Marauderhomestead.com

or something like that.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good input Widder. I'm still sort of new to lever actions, so this has been a learning experience for me. I did try, this morning, a cartridge that I load for use in my .41 Blackhawk with an over all length of 1.70, and it did not clear the mouth of the magazine tube. So basically the opposite of what was happening before where the second round followed and jammed the carrier. I have no problems loading to the factory length, but now I will think more about the timing of the rifle.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
567 Posts
JohnD,

feel free to call me if you want.

During the day at work, I'm free to talk most of the time.

in the evenings at home, I'm also available (unless I'm on the phone or working on a Marlin).

work: 865 / 215-3059
home: 865 / 984-4455

The Marlin 1894 has what I refer to as, multiple timing aspects.

You have an initial timing: this is during the downward stroking of the lever. This is basically a 2 function timing aspect. The timing of your carrier has to be slow enough to allow a cartridge to get onto the carrier and yet, it also has to be fast enough to block the rim of the next round from coming out onto the carrier and causing a jam up.

Correct timing can actually allow you to have enough time to allow a cartridge of various lengths to feed onto the carrier yet still be sufficient to stop the next round from coming out.

This is the area where your situation is causing problems.

Another timing aspect of the Marlin is when you are closing your lever. As you start moving your lever back up, you will notice the carrier starts to pivot upwards.

The carrier needs to rise only so high YET, it also needs to stay up for a specific amount of time. It appears in your situation, your 'upward' timing is in good shape. Most Marlins I have ever checked do have good upward timing, although there have been a couple that were off.
And, I have even modified the upward timing on a couple of my 1894's to meet MY specific needs of feeding a specific cartridge.

I hope I didn't make this clear as mud.

If you want to see what GOOD timing on an 1894 will do, get on youtube and type in 'Widdermatic Marlin'. Then click on the video of me wearing a GREEN shirt. Its a good video of my setting up 2 Marlins.

..........Widder

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd have to say you know what you're doing there Widder! I will find time, the grandkids have a week left before school, to call. Thanks for the information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts