Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Marlin 1895 cowboy, 45-70. Usually about 1900 fps or more with a 420 grain cast from BTB. Heavy recoil, but accurate. Have a Williams foolproof that sits 20 clicks up from the reciever base (.375" from reciver base to center of the peep) and a front post sight with a .550 height.

I want to remove the Williams and add a tang sight from Marbles that I got for Xmas. And, I need some sort of folding leaf sight for the rear barrel deovetail. Can you recommend such a sight and what height it should be? Thanks.

G

·
Yes, order the standard Marlin folding rear sight straight from Marlin. This is the same sight they use on their 336, 1894, and standard 1895 rifles. This sight folds down flat, but has an elevator that you can move for windage. The rear sight can be had with at least 3 different height fold down blades. I believe you will want the tallest one, but I suggest getting all three as they are pretty cheap.

I've been through this exercise several times. I use the Marlin rear sight, and experiment with the different rear height rear leaves to get one close. I then calculate the needed sight height for the front sight then order the right one (Marble's) through my gunsmith or directly from Brownells. I set my guns up so the lowest rear sight notch is for my closest anticipated range, and mark it. I mark the other notches for the other ranges. At the velocity you quote, you should be able to mark 100, 200, and 300 on the rear sight elevator. I then adjust the Marble's tang for 400 yards.

This works for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why don't the Marlin sights have an adjustable windage screw? It seems like the Marbles Flolding Sporting Sight w/ adjustable windage is the way to go. They are hard to find though, Midway doesn't have them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts