Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
What you need for the 336 is a Weaver 163a base with pivot rings. As others have said above, they were manufactured back in the 50's and 60's so the only thing available on the market is used. But, there is one company that refurbishes them to look "vintage" and sells the sets between $99-$125. They built a 336 30-30 ---> Vintage Gun Scopes — Turnbull Meets Vintage Gun Scopes
A little steep for me price wise and I personally don't like the look they add on to them. As far as the "gimmick" comments, take those with a grain of salt. They stay true shot after shot, year after year. The bases can be found on Ebay relatively cheap, I'm having alot of trouble finding the rings though unfortunately (besides the website I posted above). If any could help find them it would be greatly appreciated!! I need both the base and pivot rings for a Model 336. Thanks and good luck!!
- George B.
(PS - I doubt I'll get a reply notification on here.)

I bought a Winchester model 88 in 308 that had the Weaver tip off mound. It held the Japanese Bushnell scope surprisingly tight with no issues. I damaged the scope slipping on ice and the mount was too low for the scope that replaced it, so I removed it. I should probably sell it as I haven’t used it in a couple of decades.

What you need for the 336 is a Weaver 163a base with pivot rings. As others have said above, they were manufactured back in the 50's and 60's so the only thing available on the market is used. But, there is one company that refurbishes them to look "vintage" and sells the sets between $99-$125. They built a 336 30-30 ---> Vintage Gun Scopes — Turnbull Meets Vintage Gun Scopes
A little steep for me price wise and I personally don't like the look they add on to them. As far as the "gimmick" comments, take those with a grain of salt. They stay true shot after shot, year after year. The bases can be found on Ebay relatively cheap, I'm having alot of trouble finding the rings though unfortunately (besides the website I posted above). If any could help find them it would be greatly appreciated!! I need both the base and pivot rings for a Model 336. Thanks and good luck!!
- George B.
(PS - I doubt I'll get a reply notification on here.)
That's exactly what I have on my 1975 336C - tip-off mounts. Still true and functional to this day.

Gr8rtst.

That's exactly what I have on my 1975 336C - tip-off mounts. Still true and functional to this day.

Gr8rtst.
I also have a set on my 336c 3030 and love them! When i hunt with guys that have never seen my 30-30 they're amazed when I knock the scope off to the side. They think I broke it til I click it back in place! Then they all want the same thing!! I don't understand why no other companies have reproduced them or made something similar in all these years!! I found the correct baseplate used online but the guy doesn't have the rings. I'm going to try the next gun show when it comes to town. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I‘m mounting the 163 pivot mounts from Weaver on my 336 RC. Looks like some of you in this thread have done exactly that. How did you deal with the rear Iron Sights nearly touching the mount?

This is what I’m facing right now. The rear Iron site is moved all the way forward; seems like defeating the purpose of the pivot mount if you can’t have Iron Sights that are also zeroed correctly.

Got an 336 of 1964 it hit where I aim with this particular mount. Are there better options ? Sure, we're our parents able to fill the freezer with it? Also yes.
If I would assume the mount will be loose, or there could be the chance of wounding an animal because of lacking precision, this would be changed without hesitation.

I allways like my rifles for what they are, tools, which are dangerous without proper handling. Before I go on a hunt, the rifle of the season has to go along a pre-hunt inspection. I shoot couple of targets, some fast follow shots, some on my estimated range for the particular rifle. My leverguns are never used for hunting over 100yards, not because they can't do it. I just have other rifles for longer distances. Also my grandparents doesn't shot that long distances. if this works in the old days, why should I try to max out ranges, push the mount over its abilitys or risk to hit a animal non lethal ? I have these beautiful old rifle, and it's still got his old mount it came with. And as long as this will do what I want it to do I don't change for something fancy.

Which question are you trying to answer? Mine has to do with having the pivot mount and the original co-exist.
wasnt meant to answer a question than to state something i seem to missunderstand in previus posts. Sorry i not look for the dates on the posts.

Unfortunately i am not able to give you a fact based answer for your problem. The mount looks exactly like mine, when i look for the screws on top of the rail. But i have a bit more space for lifting the iron sight.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.