Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Flip to the side scope mount

9K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  .35Rem.owner.GER 
#1 ·
I have a Marlin 336C and Classic 1895. I am looking for a scope mount that flips to the side, and still attached to the rifle, for close in shots. The only ones I can find are for red dot magnifiers. I saw one on a TV show (Alaska the last frontier) and he said it was about 15+ years old. Anyone know of one that is made today? Yes, I need a scope for these old tired eyes, unfortunately. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Those mounts were popular in the 50's and early 60's and I believe Pachmayr made most of them... I think the only thing you will find is in the used market... I have seen a website or two that specialize in old scopes and mounts... If I can find them I will post a link...

#6 ·
With the proper eve relief set on your QUALITY scope. It will be faster than ANY iron sight. Flippers and see under scope mounts are basically gimmicks.............A buck bust out of a brush pile...........You gonna reach over with your left hand grasp the scope.......Flip it over..........Gran the forend........Mount the rifle.......Aim and fire................Meanwhile the deer is 1/4 mile away by now. A proper mounted scope set up for FULL eye reilef.......The deer bust out..........Cock as you raise the rifle........See the deer in the cross hairs.........Pull the trigger.

#7 ·
I wouldn't trust any scope mounted on any moveable mount to hold a zero worth a darn.
After it has been flipped down and then flipped back up it might still hit paper but I wouldn't trust it to shoot a living animal , especially at any distance.
Any movement at all will throw a scope off.

#8 · (Edited)
After it has been flipped down and then flipped back up it might still hit paper but I wouldn't trust it to shoot a living animal
Yep - I agree - can't imagine anything better than this out of a moveable scope mount.

Never used one but I have always considered them to be a gimmick as well.

#9 ·
I agree with the previous posts. At ranges where a scope is needed, any play, even though small tolerances .....will cause great error at longer ranges. Speaking as someone that is older, and has never seen the big “E” at the top of the eye chart, get a quality, low power scope! In timber or twilight shots.....irons can never beat good, low power optics! This is assuming that the rifle fits you properly, and the scope is of good quality and properly adjusted for eye relief! JMO. memtb

#11 ·
I have one, but it does not allow the use of an adjustable objective. There is not enough clearance.
It will fit with the older Weaver or Burris fixed power scopes just fine.
I used a Leupold 2.5 fixed power scope with it and I did not find any change of bullet impact at 100 yards when tilting on or off.
This is a Weaver Pivot mount.
Auto part
Latch Door handle Lock Door Wood

#12 ·
Back in the 60ties my cousin obtained a Rem 742 30-06 semi auto , may have been the 70ties. He was under the same impession that if a deer got too close he could not see him in the scope so he got a flip over for his rifle and he almost wore it out flipping it back and forth when he would see a deer. It had two flat spring clips on the left side and it would lock up and made a click sound. I am convinced that the scope did not hold zero well because he missed several and finally just started shooting at everything with open sights. I would almost quit hunting if it was my only option. I hate the flip over and see thru mounts.

I have hunted a lot and have never had a deer to close as to not be able to use a scope. The secret is to shoot them before they get so close. LOL

#14 ·
I also have a set of those Weaver tip-off scope mounts that I installed on my 336C in 1975.

Those mounts have never been removed from the scope since they were first installed on the scope, a Weaver K-4 (1), and I've never had any problems with the scope movement or changing point of aim because of recoil.

Granted, it's mounted on a Weaver K-4 (1) fixed power scope, not a variable scope, and it's in 30-30 Win., so the pretty tame recoil doesn't hurt.

My Marlin 336C is in like-new condition as are the tip-off mounts, although I've used it a lot over the years. It is my very first "high-powered" rifle I purchased 46 years ago.

Gr8rtst.

#15 ·
As above.
Those mounts have clips to hold the scope down. Not precision by any means.
There will be slop in the clips and slop in the hinges. And the accuracy will be just that slop x slop. No promise was made for repeatability of the zero.

Further, as above. Those mounts were from a time when scopes were primitive. They were not sealed, not nitrogen filled, and not coated optics. Scopes were fair weather at best. In rainy weather they would fog on the inside.

Not so today. Even the budget scopes are far better than all but top of the line in the 50s and early 60s.

And optics are faster than irons. Just look at the competition shooters. If irons were faster, everyone would be using them.

If you don't trust your scope:
1. Get a better scope
2. Get quick detatch mounts
3. Take your rifle to the range in bad conditions. See how it does in the rain, in the snow, and when it's way cold.

Today's optics are amazing.

I have a steel tube Weaver V-4.5. The lenses are not coated and the image suffers in low light. I was hunting one evening at dusk and saw three does about 60 yards away. I could see them with my eyes, and with my binoculars. But I could not find them in my scope. Opportunity lost. That's 60s era optics for you. Any of today's scopes would have found them. And no, it was too dark for iron sights.

#16 ·
Hindsight being 20/20, how did we ever manage to kill anything back in those primative times.

We managed, didn't we.

Just foolin' about.

Interestingly, I put the same Weaver Classic K-4 scopes, one on my Remlin in .44 Mag, and my other Remlin in .45 Colt.

I replaced the original factory buckhorn sights with units from XS Sytems, then I used QR rings on the Weavers. The XS iron sights work fine, but the QR mounts suck, to be blunt.

The QR setup requires that if I'm removing the scope by turning the thumb tangs (which are sharp on the ends) to loosen the base of the mount, there is a small spacer under/inside the base of each ring base that will fall out and is easily lost.

Not recommended doing it in the field.

Also, the point of aim changes each time I use the QR ring.

The mount on the Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag is good as long as I leave it mounted on the gun after it's sighted in.

The 1894 in 45 Colt; well, I removed the scope and just use the ghost ring and blade front sight on that rifle.

Gr8rtst.

#22 ·
What you need for the 336 is a Weaver 163a base with pivot rings. As others have said above, they were manufactured back in the 50's and 60's so the only thing available on the market is used. But, there is one company that refurbishes them to look "vintage" and sells the sets between $99-$125. They built a 336 30-30 ---> Vintage Gun Scopes — Turnbull Meets Vintage Gun Scopes
A little steep for me price wise and I personally don't like the look they add on to them. As far as the "gimmick" comments, take those with a grain of salt. They stay true shot after shot, year after year. The bases can be found on Ebay relatively cheap, I'm having alot of trouble finding the rings though unfortunately (besides the website I posted above). If any could help find them it would be greatly appreciated!! I need both the base and pivot rings for a Model 336. Thanks and good luck!!
- George B.
(PS - I doubt I'll get a reply notification on here.)

#25 ·
That's exactly what I have on my 1975 336C - tip-off mounts. Still true and functional to this day.

Gr8rtst.

#23 ·
I bought a Winchester model 88 in 308 that had the Weaver tip off mound. It held the Japanese Bushnell scope surprisingly tight with no issues. I damaged the scope slipping on ice and the mount was too low for the scope that replaced it, so I removed it. I should probably sell it as I haven’t used it in a couple of decades.

#27 ·
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I‘m mounting the 163 pivot mounts from Weaver on my 336 RC. Looks like some of you in this thread have done exactly that. How did you deal with the rear Iron Sights nearly touching the mount?

This is what I’m facing right now. The rear Iron site is moved all the way forward; seems like defeating the purpose of the pivot mount if you can’t have Iron Sights that are also zeroed correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.