Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the percussion version sitting in it's packaging in the basement. It's only been down there for a couple years so I don't feel so bad after reading your post! They go together pretty quick once you start though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the percussion version sitting in it's packaging in the basement. It's only been down there for a couple years so I don't feel so bad after reading your post! They go together pretty quick once you start though.
Well this one will take a bit longer. It's sat so long that humidity has surface rusted all the iron parts. Spent a good while draw filing that barrel back down to presentable condition. Good thing the stock wasn't 100% inletted.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I made one a lot like that as a gift for my dad. It turned out really well.
Enjoy your project.

Reactions: The Appalachian

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Have you tried sparking that lock yet? I appears to have a too small hammer on it. Even putting the flint bevel down it will probably too low on the frizzen.
At halfcock that hammer should be just a little forward of straight up. It the flint should be almost touching the frizzen.

Nice job on the inletting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it finished yet? Photos would be good!
Wood Air gun Finger Trigger Engineering

Been saving up "bench work" for my 6 weeks of recovery time from hip replacement surgery, which finally happened this morning as a matter of fact.

So this pistol is on the list. Since the last post I ended up doing a lot more slimming of the stock and getting away from the club look. I also broke the original trigger guard by clumsy fingers dropping it on the floor. Snapped that cheap brass casting like a toothpick. Found one I actually like better but was a lot more inletting involved. Turned out nice. Also decided to cut out a brass side plate and inlet that too. Got the rough cut out of the side plate done yesterday to have that out of the way. Won't be out in the shop for a little while yet now until i heal up this hip. I'll have it done soon though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried sparking that lock yet? I appears to have a too small hammer on it.
Well it's the hammer that came with the kit from CVA back over 30 years ago. I'll try it, then decide if I need to fit something else to it. Honestly I think the whole damn lock is cheap garbage, but like I said, I'll try it first then decide.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get my BP stuff for scratch builds from Track of the Wolf. Great place. They have component kits as well. Give their website a look. Just put the name in Google.
Not quite as happy with Track as I once was. Last two orders came wrong part in correct bag. They replaced the first part no questions asked, but the time wasted kinda sucked.

The second of the two last orders was a cast steel part that I had ordered back in the spring and needed another exact same part. Although the second part was similar in appearance and theme, and same part number, it was 2 inches shorter and no where near as wide. I'll use it on something but I couldn't use it on the project at hand.

Finally found what I needed at MBS after calling half a dozen other vendors.

Not my first rodeo sourcing parts and scratch building. I tend to rely on those vendors who have exactly what I need and Track just rotated to the bottom of my go to list.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yes, you are doing a nice job!
A bit of a thread hi-jack, but it reminds me of the time that I built a similar FL pistol (very nice curly maple that I got from Turner Kirkland) in the late '60's. Elvis saw it hanging over my sister's fireplace in Palm Springs, CA and called me up & asked me to build one for him. Though I declined, we did talk for some time about being tank commanders in the same outfit in Germany.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Pretty, I think that you are going to get a call from Elvis, (They say that he is really still around you know!).

• Haha
1 - 20 of 24 Posts