Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the "flat top " receiver I've heard of from time to time I can't find a reference to it in Brophy's.It bothers me to be ignorant on a Marlin subject.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ditto to that and where can we get a copy of this wonderful book of knowledge? I've been bit by the bug seven times now and I'd like to ID the culprets alittle better.
cw

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seaweaver,If you need any books amazon.com. is a good place to start a search,However if I remember the Marlin Firearms Company site has a store and I believe its available through them.It is, however, an $80.00 tome but it's worth every cent if you get into Marlin rifles like you and me and every one else on this site.Good luck!.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked on amazon and the book is on sale right now for$52.80-BUY IT!I just got bit by the bug again this week.I bought a "k" prefix 336 in 32 spl.Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you have Brophys book look at page 240, in my edition, Model 1892, it has a picture of the Second variation that has a flat top receiver that was drilled and tapped for the LL Hepburn receiver sight. I believe this type of sight mount is the reason for the flat top developement. Others have a rounded top, in reality a light curve across the top of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My book is on its way.
Never again will I have to ask stupid questions unless they pertain to the opposite sex :D
cw

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Nice photos, Oldwolf. I have a 1952 336A DL in 30-30. I picked it up less than a year ago but it is getting to be a real favorite since I put a new front bead and Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is my 1953 "k" a flattop? Is it because there's no scope screws? I guess there's more than one type of Marlin flattop?Shootrj2003

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the top looks like the one above, it is a flat top. To my knowledge, which isn't by any means complete, this is the configuration until the D&T started.

From another thread:
"1956 was the first year for Micro-Groove barrels in the centerfire rifles, and 1954 was the first year for drilling and tapping for scopes on 336's. The rimfire rifles got Micro-Groove barrels in 1954."

So if yours was built in 1953, it is probably a "flattop"

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O.K. I have the picture now and understand that's what got me thinking on the flat-top thing besides having heard it before in posts.Shootr2003

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Old wolf, The top shot apears to have slight bevels on the side. is that my eyes or is it truly edge to edge 90 degrees?
cw

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ummmmmm....

....Seaweaver,
I do believe it is beveled. I haven’t had the rifle very long and I just sent it to Marlin for some work. So, I don’t have a clear picture of it in my head. But, yes, I do think it has bevels on each side. I just don't know to what degree it is beveled. I know for a fact is is not squared off like my M39 though.

shootrj2003 - Is yours beveled?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, there's a slight edge about 3/16 of the edge which is beveled and slightly rounded on either side but all of the centerfire marlins have that edge even my "1893".I do notice that the older ones have more of a curve and the newer ones like my ''1895 ss ''are more of a flat bevel,no doubt, probably due to more machine work. shootrj2003

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
These posts made me curious, so I got out my 336A and took a look. It is beveled as well but is not drilled nor tapped. I did not know this was called a flat top but with the very slight angle around the edges, I can see why it would be.

Good pics Old Wolf, is this your rifle?

SS

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sidespin said:
Good pics Old Wolf, is this your rifle?

SS
Yes, it is one I bought last month. It's a shame I have to send it to Marlin for work but I like it too much to get a refund from the seller.

The other side of the reciever is drilled and tapped for a sight as many of you probably already know.

Also, notice how the lever is not filled around the lever screw like the later models? I wonder what prompted Marlin to beef up the levers?

Notice how the hammer is not relieved for the hammer spur? That modification may have been made the same year that D&T began.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You bring up some interesting points. It will drive me crazy until I go home and look at my older 336 mods to see if they are the same.

SS

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Where's the flattop here? I don't think there is.

cw

1 - 20 of 21 Posts